Pages

Fortunately the day to day challenges of motherhood generally spread themselves out into tolerable doses, but occassionally already tired mommies are blasted with an overdose of obstacles that all come crashing in at once. Now is my turn for THE BLAST. So, just so you can choose for yourself whether or not to read on, I'll warn you that this is a therapeutic rambling so I don't lose my mind, and there may be content that you'd rather not read.

Basically, here's my life of late. Diapers, pull-ups, baby wipes, diaper rash cream, stinky bathrooms, and laundry. But no fear, I have my roll of paper towels and spray bottle of bathroom cleaner attatched to my hip at this point. I'm dangerously quick to respond to that cry of "Mommmmmm!" because I know if I delay, the consequences will be severe. Now, you might be saying to yourself, "come on, it can't be THAT bad. those kids are 2, 4, and 6. how bad could it really be?" So, let me tell you just how bad it is.

First off, Claire has decided to potty train. And really, it is all her. Never would I have chose to do it now simply because of other more immediate concerns which I'll soon explain. So any mother knows life comes to a stand still during these first few days so mom is free to run back and forth between the toilet and messes around the house. I seriously hate potty training. Second, Ty has suddenly become too old and mature to sit when he goes to the bathroom. Real men stand, apparently. Well that's fine if you're talented enough to aim correctly and tall enough to be over the rim of the toilet. Ty is neither. I've told him to PLEASE sit so I can at least be relieved of cleaning HIS messes. He says he'll sit, but really sneeks an occassional standing position in when I'm not looking. He's no good at hiding the evidence. Lastly, and unfortunately the biggest problem, Maggie is fighting a run of repeated bladder infections as well as constipation. And those two conditions together, cause a whole bunch of problems that no 6 year-old should have to deal with. And since she IS only 6, it's as much my problem as hers. Her doctor doesn't really have a good solution since antibiotics haven't worked and laxatives seem to be causing more problems. She's seeing a specialist next week, who hopefully will have some answers. In the meantime, we leave the house as little as possible, are prepared for the worst when we DO leave, but I am so SO grateful that she's not in school right now. It would all be so much harder on her. And me.

So now, at the end of the day, I'm thinking three things. One, I'm REALLY tired. Two, my house probably smells something awful, and three, tomorrow has GOT to be a better day.

5 comments:

Boy I've had days like that!
Suggestion for the constipation (we've had similar problems in our house). There's a daily, stir into your juice thing you can take that sure helped us. (Think Metamucil.) The best thing was it just helps regulate - not send it all out, if you get my drift.
Call to vent or to laugh! :-)

July 23, 2008 at 8:58 PM  

my sister's husband's family has had a history of women with bladder infections (including 6 year olds) and there is some sort of condition where there is something messed up in the bladder or urethra. one of the girls has to drink water constantly and go to the bathroom a lot to keep from getting bladder infections. good luck though, i really hope the specialist helps!!!

July 24, 2008 at 9:12 AM  

Hang in there! I hope the specialist is able to help Maggie. I wish I could tell you that things will get better when Ty is older and taller, but unfortunately, boys are easily distracted and they forget to aim. And good luck with Claire. In a couple of weeks you will be glad that is done.

July 24, 2008 at 10:32 AM  

oh man. sorry.

July 26, 2008 at 1:14 PM  

Thanks for making me feel better, I know EXACTLY how you feel!!

Do you do a lot of bubble baths? I know my girls don't do well with them. My mom taught me a little trick of a hot (as hot as they can stand) salt bath. But a specialist should be able to help as well, hopefully.

Good luck, you are not alone (sometimes it helps just to know that).

July 30, 2008 at 8:11 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home