Pages

I did it!

Alright, friends. I've been threatening to do it for a long time. And I finally came around. I kept putting off painting the front door even though I HATED the way it was. It looked like 12 dogs and the SWAT team had tried to bust through it. I found the perfect paint thanks to Just a Girl and let me tell you, it really is the perfect paint if your looking for door paint. Or for anywhere that needs to be super durable. It was so SO easy. No priming, no top coat, very minimal sanding, and it looks awesome. It maybe took me 45 minutes, if that. So here we go with the pictures! I know that's what we all really want in a blog.


BEFORE

Boring white-ish yellowish dirty blah that shows every bit of dirt and dust. Eeek.






First thing I did was give it a light sanding just to smooth out any chips in the paint. Ty did the bottom half for me. That's how easy it is. Make sure to wipe off any dirt and paint dust (or otter pop juice, or peanut butter chunks) before painting.




Next, start with a brush in the indented panels if you have them. If it looks like a drunken painter got to this door it's because this paint seems to be extra drippy and I had to keep smoothing out drops along the way.

As you can see, I didn't even remove the hardware. Just taped it off.

Next, you maybe freak out a little because you know it's too late to go back.




And last, use a roller to do all the rest. This is the fun part because it goes so fast and you start realizing that you haven't made a terrible mistake. Oh and this is only ONE coat. I may go back and do another if necessary, but it seems to be holding up great.


The only thing that this paint can't do is UN-dent my door. Dang it! Maybe that's asking too much of a paint. In the above picture you can see where Zoro left his mark on my door and there's no hiding that.




I love the end result! I'm always amazed at what a little paint job can do.

I can't wait to be able to get some berries in that wreath for the holidays. But that's still a ways off unfortunately.

I think the red against the black will look amazing!

So here's the miracle paint if you're interested. I only bought a quart of it and didn't even use half of it. You can't find it just anywhere. I googled "Benjamin Moore paint" to find a local paint store that carries it.


6 comments:

Love the new look! I really like black doors, they are so classy! You are quite the thrifty gal.

August 25, 2009 at 5:18 PM  

i'm impressed you are painting period. you may have inspired me to paint my own dull white dented scratched peanut butter chunked door as well---someday! like your color choice, unexpected, but nice!

August 25, 2009 at 6:40 PM  

I love it and go you! You are always so crafty

August 25, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

LOVE your door! It looks great! Good job!

August 26, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

love the black! what a difference! I recently painted a nightstand black rather than buying a new one. It is a very creative way to update furniture or doors.

September 5, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

oh and I bet peanut butter chunks and otter pop juice doesnt show up as well on the black.

September 5, 2009 at 11:13 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home