Pages

It's time for a Lily update.  When we saw the neurologist a couple of weeks ago he mostly just asked a lot of questions about her.  He didn't say a whole lot because nothing is conclusive without tests and results obviously.  He ordered a whole bunch of blood work to be done.  They'll be testing for all sorts of crazy and rare muscle disorders.  I don't think it's anything that serious and I don't think the doctor does either, but he's ruling out all possibilities. Her hormone levels will also be evaluated, which is what I personally feel is the issue.  I found this article yesterday that just seems to fit her.

Basically, it says when there is an imbalance in the pituitary gland then not enough somatatrophin (growth hormone) is produced often resulting in stunted growth.  The article lists common symptoms in infants and children, most of which Lily shows.

1. Increased amount of fat around the waist.       Check.  I've always noticed that Lily's belly seemed especially large compared to her bum and legs, so it was interesting to see it listed as a symptom.

2. The child might look younger than other children of his/her age.   Check.  Everyone is always surprised to hear she's as old as she is.   

3.  Delayed tooth development in infancy.       Check.   She's just now barely starting to get her first tooth at 13 months.

4. Delayed onset of puberty.    um...yet to be determined.

5. Slow growth velocity at each stage of age and puberty.   Check.

Looks pretty obvious to me, so it will be interesting to see how the tests come back.  Not only does she show the symptoms, but my super smart herbally minded, vitamin loving mom told us some things we could be giving Lily that will increase hormone production.  Since giving her Vitamin E and cod liver oil (yum)  she has rolled over occasionally, her legs seem to slowly be getting stronger, and she has her first budding tooth.  We're hopeful that our little flower will just keep on growing.


Yesterday Lily and I took the joyous journey to the lab. The sweet little thing was in such a happy mood as we were waiting for her name to be called.   She was flirting with all the nice old people and chatting away.  Everyone ooohed and ahhhed over her. She loved it, and I hated that I was about to ruin all that happiness.  Soon the nurse called us back.  I thought I was going to pass out...seriously.  I was shaky, sweaty, and all that good stuff.  It was torture - and I wasn't even the patient. It was all I could do to hold back my tears as I had to hold down my squirming and crying baby.  There were 8 different tubes they had to fill. Eight!  It seemed like so much blood - too much to be doing all at once...horrible time for a mommy.  She cried pretty good, but could at least be distracted a little.  It took about 5 minutes to fill all the tubes, but it seemed like FOREVER.  I'm pretty sure the ordeal was far worse for me than her, but I would've given anything to take her place.  I am so so SO glad that is over and if there ever has to be a next time, dad is coming for sure.  Lily was pretty much spoiled rotten after all of that.  Graham crackers for dinner?  No prob.

Just look at that cute, bandaged chubby arm.


Don't let her fool you in this next picture.  See how it almost looks like she is trying to crawl?  She just walks her hands out, reaches whatever it is she is after and then goes right back to sitting.



Aside from the blood tests, she will also have an MRI as soon as all the insurance stuff is squared away.  Who knows when that will all be done.  Slow people.

So this is the state of things for now.  We're just so happy that she's healthy in every other way, and that cognitively she is right on track.  Thanks to all for your love and concern.

6 comments:

Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about Lily, and you, and wondering how things were going. I'm glad to hear that she has been making progress lately with the supplements you've been giving her. I hope things continue to get better and better!

May 20, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

Poor Lily! She totally deserved graham crackers and anything else she wanted after that torture. Lily is lucky to have a mom and dad and grandma etc. so on top of everything... you will get the answers you need, and learn a lot in the process, I'm sure. I'll talk to you soon with the information I have for you.

May 21, 2010 at 6:10 AM  

oh carrie, that is the worst feeling. i can so relate. being in this gray foggy unknown position is horrible. thank goodness she has great parents and that you have the gospel. my heart is so with ya babe. best of luck, i hope you get answers soon.

May 21, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

I just want to jump through the screen and hug you and Lily! I am sorry you had such a tramatic day. It breaks my heart for you and will continue to keep you all in our prayers. Lily is such a dollface! I cant wait to meet her (and your whole family)!

May 21, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

I think you need a REALLY big cupcake from Retro. Please come see me over the summer and we will gorge on cupcakes and swim. It sounds like you are on the right track. I love that there is so much information available to us these days, I swear we usually know what's wrong before the doctors do. Lily is a cutie pie, and very tough!!

May 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

I am sorry to hear about Lily, but it sounds like you've got a pretty good idea on what might be the problem. I hope she continues to improve! She is adorable:)

May 24, 2010 at 7:08 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home