I know I'm supposed to be blogging about our trip, but I have a more pressing matter that needs to be taken care of. You know what today is? It's the one week anniversary of the Father's Day where Reas totally got shafted. And I'm having guilt. On my own behalf I will say that we had been home from our 2 1/2 week long trip for about 12 hours and so I was completely unprepared, but a more organized woman than I would've planned ahead. Honey, what I really wish we could've done for you was to surprise you with the biggest, shiniest, most beautiful F250 sitting in the drive - I'd even put a big bow on the hood, a fully landscaped backyard with a tropical secret hideout tucked away in the corner, season tickets to the Dodger's complete with all you can eat dodger dogs and air transport to every game, a week long cruise for just us, and lots and lots of steaks. You deserve it all. Wait. I'm taking back the Dodger Dogs - I like you alive.

Instead, he got a fancy bowl of Grape Nuts for breakfast (nope. Not even Coco Puffs) and a meager rendition of "Happy Father's Day to You" which really turned out to be a morning voice solo on my part because the kids got embarrassed. Then, later that morning when I went to use the garbage disposal and all I got was THAT SOUND and dirty water and other unidentifiable things filling up the sink, Reas happily went to work disappearing into the cabinet. Shortly later he resurfaced holding two paint brushes and covered in pipe crud. Yes, paintbrushes. Only in my house will you find paintbrushes down the garbage disposal. Um, Happy Father's Day, babe. THEN, he bathed the kids for church because I was freaking out about finishing some stuff I needed to get done for church that day. Again, Happy Father's Day. And he didn't mind! He was happy. Even the paintbrushes didn't get to him, although he did clearly make the announcement, "No more paintbrushes down the drain!" So off to church we went, where thankfully all the men were given lovely king size candy bars. Does that make up for a slacker of a wife?

But wait! For dinner, I had a rack of ribs to be cooked up. That's good, right? That's got to score some Father's Day points. Except for that Reas ended up cooking them. Yes, HE MADE HIS OWN FATHER'S DAY DINNER. Sorry girlfriend. No points for you. Then, get this. I was asking him what kind of yummy side dishes he would like to go with the ribs because I really wanted to do SOMETHING and he said, "Oh... whatever is fine. Don't spend a lot of time on it. I'd rather have you in here sitting with us than making you spend all your time in the kitchen." Ahhh, melt my heart. So he got a salad and some mashed potatos. Good yes, but probably not Father's Day good.
We love you, Reas! You take care of us. You work so hard at work to provide a comfortable and safe home for our family. You work so hard at school. You take time for the kids and for me even when you're tired. You're a wonderful teacher and show our children how to live through your actions. You let the kids play daddy mountain all over you. You throw pitches to Ty when I give you that look of desperation that says "I've been doing this ALL day." You always give a quick kiss to Lily after buckling her in. ALWAYS. You've done that with all of them. I don't even think you know you do it, but it's the sweetest. If you have to slam on the brakes you always throw your arm out in front of me. It's the little things. We know you love us. You have an unwavering testimony of the gospel and you teach it to our children. Thank you for loving us and for being the best daddy and husband.

And thank you for not needing all that commercialized Father's Day stuff. (I'll do better next year. Maybe you'll even get a tie.)

Sometimes I really dread Father's day because it is just one more day that I have to do everything. I really look forward to the weekend because I get to have help, but not on Father's day. But, whenever I sit down and list all of the things my husband does for our family, it makes me feel a little guilty that I don't look forward to father's day to let him know how much we appreciate him. You have a wonderful husband and such a beautiful family!
Tera said...
June 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM
i love it, i cracked up thru this whole post, except of course the nice paragraph. some holidays just work out that way, it's so not all about that, it's obviouse how much love you all have for him.
Laurie Von said...
June 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM