There's one fact that's easy to see. Maggie's got BIG hair. Not only is it big, but it's poofy, staticky, and curly in some spots and straight in others.

There are some days when the poofiness isn't so bad, but the static is what's out of control. If she brushes up next to anything at all, it sticks out straight in every direction.

It works beautifully with sponge curlers, but I can't do that EVERY night.

When it rains, Maggie's hair size nearly doubles. Fortunately for her we live in the desert.
P.S. Sorry about Ty. The rain drops must have been getting to him.

She has great Halloween hair, but she can't dress up as a witch every day of the year.
So, here's my question to all of you. I'm pretty sure the answer is product - but what to buy? I don't have curls, waves, or poofs, and have never had to deal with them, and I think she'll thank me for posting this very personal matter some day. She always wants to wear her hair down, but I try to talk her out of it for fear of her getting teased. Yesterday she convinced me to leave it down. When I picked her up from school I noticed that she had put it in a pony. She told me it was because the kids always tell her that her hair tickles their faces when they have to stand behind her in line! I seriously almost busted up laughing, but held it in, so as to not do any permanent damage to her 6 year-old ego. So to any of you big haired bloggers out there - HELP!!!! How do I tame the mane?
Ooo, I see you have your slide working! Good job.
Now about the hair... half curly hair is hard. I would suggest a curl cream or spray from the grocery store. I like Garnee Fruites?? How ever it is spelled. The secret to taming curly hair is to not brush it or rub it dry with a towel.
Mandagirl said...
April 21, 2008 at 10:26 AM
Sounds like she has hair like her Aunt Jessie or cousin Jessie. Isn't Jessie's hair hard to tame, and curls in some spots but, not others? Unruly hair with a mind of it's own or not, she's sure cute!
Stephanie M Larsen said...
April 21, 2008 at 2:14 PM
ooh, this is a subject that hits close to home for me. i had great hair growing up (and by great i mean NOT great) and i was teased a lot about it. perhaps, subconsciously, deep down, this is why i keep it so short today.
however, i think this could have all been avoided had those in charge of me (ahem... mom!)paid a little attention and done something about it. so, carrie, you're on the right track!
i would suggest, first of all, taking her to a really good salon. not just a tru cuts or somebody's aunt... a really good place. tell them your concerns. they should be able to give you a) a good haircut that works with her type of hair and b) suggestions of products and ways of doing it. going to a really cool salon can be a little pricey, but it's worth it. i do this with parker and it's been great.
as you can tell, i have strong feelings on this subject. good luck... and maggie, you're beautiful!!!
robin said...
April 21, 2008 at 8:07 PM
Thanks girls, for your input. I knew I could count on you. Amanda, I'm going to check out that website you sent right now.
Carrie said...
April 22, 2008 at 8:10 AM
Hi, My name is Aubrey and I'm the sister in law of Mary who is Kelly's friend in San Jose. (They told me you had a hair issue and I'm a stylist) Kelly has some pretty thick and curly hair so I have done her's in the past to help and she can attest that we found some really good answers.
First thing is you need to change the shampoo that you are using. If it's too strong it causes frizzing. I recommend Tresseme (from walmart) but you need to get one specifically for dry damaged hair (its called remoisture) so it contains more conditioning agents and a lower alkaline level.
Never blow it dry unless you are prepared to round brush or flat iron it. If you let it air dry then you can scrunch some mouse in it to catch some of the frizzy (careful this can make it too crispy) If you don't want it too crunchy then you can take any straight pieces and lightly wrap them around the outside of a hot curling iron (takes 2 seconds and gives it a soft look) Then when all done mist with pump (not aerosol) hairspray in scrunching motion. The curling iron will calm the frizz. You can also get a diffuser (5 bucks at walmart also) to put on the end of your blowdryer and you use it in a scrunching fashion and it will make her hair curly all over and not just in some areas. If you need any more help I can tell you of some products that you can put in before you blow dry that can help to keep it from frizzing and help it look straight. my email is brentaubreybundy@hotmail.com Hope I helped.
Aubrey said...
April 23, 2008 at 9:43 AM