Pages


I love my primary calling at church - I really do, but one thing that has me shaking my head at the moment is CUB SCOUTS. I have had the pleasure of being the primary counselor over scouts for the past 2 or so years (I've kinda lost track), which is usually not a big deal - just a few meetings here and there. And I'm not complaining - I'd get in big trouble for that. I am simply about to share an observation I have made about SOME people (not all, that would be a generalization, I know) in the scouting community. They are CRAZY!!!! C.R.A.Z.Y!!!! Crazy over cub scouts. I truly believe that some of the nice, crazy people that I have met over the last few days go to bed planning their next camp-0-ree, dream about the next leadership badge they will earn (and how to wear it properly on their uniform), and jump up the next morning, run to their computer and hope to find 36 new emails to answer in regards to cubscouts. I'm pretty sure that none of my friends down at the scout office have time to read my blog, so I feel safe venting to my small crowd of readers. But REALLLLLLY. On Saturday, I was at a cubscout meeting for 6 hours. SIX HOURS!!! I thought I just might fall over and die. And the funny thing was I'd look around at all the other people in the meeting and they looked so happy to be there. Big smiles, sparkly eyes, even at 7 in the morning - yes, that's what time the meeting started. They looked as if they were thinking, "can we do this again tomorrow?" Is there something wrong with me? Maybe I haven't truly caught on to the spirit of scouting. I completely agree that Cubscouts is a wonderful program that helps a lot of boys, but oh... the PASSION,COMMITMENT, and TIME that I have seen just kind of makes my jaw drop. It is truly amazing. Tomorrow I will have the pleasure of meeting yet again with one of the most devoted scouters I know. In fact, I will even be receiving some personal, one on one training from him. Wow. My biggest fear - I might be there till midnight. Actually there's another fear - I don't own a scouting uniform and I might get busted.

Alright. Done. I need to go work on some stuff for our next pack meeting :)

2 comments:

You make me laugh! I had those same feelings about some of the YW's meetings. I loved YW's but after everything with my family and serving in that program for so many years, it just gets a little old! Chin up! Pretty soon you will have a cubscout and then you won't even be able to escape it at home!

February 9, 2009 at 6:23 PM  

i've had this discussion with other people before--about how you are either crazily, ridiculously into scouts or you aren't. i'm afraid i fall into the latter category even though i am now the bear den leader. and you are right, the meetings NEVER end! i have roundtable tonight and know i'll be there from like 7 to 10pm. so, i wonder at what point the enthusiastic people drunk the kool-aid...

February 12, 2009 at 8:26 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home