There may be no greater sound than that of a happy family. Especially, when it's my family. I love it when the kids are happily playing, giggling together about their made up jokes, or just chatting away, enjoying being a family. More often than not, the happy sounds become loud and sometimes a bit chaotic, but as long as it's happy chaos I can deal with it. I love having a busy and bustling home full of little bodies who are eager to live life.
My second favorite sound comes in at a very close second. That would be the sound of nothing. It's obvious why this is also a favorite of mine. It's a rare commodity. I love it when I can sit and listen to the sound of quiet. When I am able to identify the sound of one single bird chirping outside the window or count the breaths of a napping baby who has decided to gift me with a moment of solitude. Quiet calms me. Quiet rejuvenates me from the inside out.
There isn't enough quiet in the world. With so many distractions - the TV, radios, cell phones, alarms, and even noisy appliances that are often a permanent background - it's difficult to find silence. Quiet bliss is critical for me. It's critical for everyone. It's healthy for the body, mind, and spirit. I know because I know how it makes me feel.
Right now, it is quiet. I am relishing in the beautiful sound of silence. My sweet Reas has taken the kids out, and here I am listening to nothing. When they return, it will be loud. I know because I know my family. I'm sure it will be a happy loud with excited voices telling me about the outing with Daddy or about the funny things they saw or did. It will be a good sound, made even better having been preluded by silence.
Labels: motherly moments
(I'm whispering so as to help with your quiet time...) I love quiet too. It makes me swell with joy.
Tera said...
November 11, 2009 at 6:00 PM