Summer is GREAT!! And I'm even coming to realize that Las Vegas Summers are tolerable if you know what to do and where to go. So later this week we're heading to California to visit friends and family and attend a family reunion. It's my immediate family's first official reunion with cheezy t-shirts and all. There are 35 of us now! So before we hit the road, I thought I'd catch up on what we've been up to recently.
At the end of the first week of Summer break, Maggie provided us with our first injury. A badly sprained big toe, which we thought was broken for the good part of a week. This picture wasn't taken at its worst. She was so self-conscious about it that I never could get a good picture. A lovely shade of blue, don't you think?
The following week, the kids had their first swim lessons, which were a huge success to say the least. Yes, we're talking about our sweet little Maggie who thought "going under" was getting her chin wet. And our brave Ty who jumped out of the pool in hysterics the second Miss Brandi asked the kids to get wet up to their shoulders. At that point I was sure I had just wasted a load of cash. But, just as many friend had promised me, Miss Brandi worked her magic in five 30 minute sessions and here's where we were at the end of the week. Quite a transformation.
I'm beginning to wonder at what point Reas is going to wish he were back in school, so I would stop "crackin' the whip" as he likes to say. The past couple of weeks we've been doing bathrooms - painting, re-casing doors, hanging new doors, mirrors, and other such fun things. At least I think they're fun. Sometimes I'm afraid Reas has a very different opinion, but he's a good sport. So here are some pics of our latest projects.
This is the second time since we moved in (6 months) that this bathroom has been painted. Now it's just a typical beige-ish color, but for me it's bliss every time I walk in. Previously it was green - the ultimate paint chip disaster. What I thought would be a lovely sage color turned out to be wedding mint green. And staring at that hue for 6 months made me feel like I had eaten 12 pounds of those things.
Upstairs, in the kid's bathroom, we've successfully installed our first new door and replaced the casing. Why do things never turn out as simple as people tell us they'll be?! Only 11 more to go. Unfortunately, I'm not joking. Hopefully we get faster. We still need to putty over the nail holes and do some touch ups with the paint, but it's coming along.
In the vanity area, we painted, spruced up the cabinets, repaired damaged drywall, and hung a new mirror.
So, one more thing I've been up to recently - regretfully taking part in the harsh reality of Vegas summers - killing off all things green. My lovely spring flowers are now all gone, gone, gone. It doesn't seem to matter if you water them 3 times a day. 110 degrees is just too much for the little guys. Take a look for yourself.
I'm guessing we'd all look something like that too, if we were left outside day after day after day, with only an occasional drink of water.
In one more day, we'll be off on another adventure. Until next time!
Labels: family
Have you ever heard of Old Nevada? I think that's what it's called. Aaron took Les and NIna and I there once. It's by the Hoover dam somewhere. It's an old cowboy town and there's a petting zoo. I loved it. Were in renovation mode around here too. I have a goal to finish all the projects I started last summer when we moved in by Sept. We'll see.
Stephanie M Larsen said...
July 9, 2008 at 10:16 AM
Wow, Maggie's toe really was pretty bad. I hope that she will still go to the park with us again.
Can't wait to hear more of your summer adventures. Hopefully you will post a picture of all the matching family reunion shirts.
Ingrid said...
July 11, 2008 at 7:21 PM
the remodel work looks great!
Unknown said...
July 14, 2008 at 10:13 PM