Reas' parting words this morning before heading out the door, other than his usual ,"I love you so much dearest wife. How will I get through the day without you?" were "Today is the last day of your 20s. You'd better live it up." And for those of you who have been around him longer than about oh... 1 second, you know one of these statements might be a tad bit of an exaggeration by me, but I'm sure he thinks it EVERY day just the same. So yes indeed, today is the last day of my 20s and I'm stuck somewhere between a major identity crisis and denial. It's been building up to this all year long. Over the past few months (pre-pregnancy of course) I've been finding myself doing crazy things to convince myself of my spunk and youthfulness. Things like refusing to get off the trampoline until I did a flip and landed ON MY FEET. I think it took 2 hours, but I did it. Another day I decided that Maggie needed to see how a real pro works on the bars at the park. I twirled and flipped until I couldn't see straight and forgot about the horrible bar burns that you get on the backs of knees and insides of elbows if you don't tie a sweatshirt around the bar first. It was worth it though. There was quite a crowd gathered around to see the old lady playing on the bars.
What's happening to me!? It's just a stupid number anyway. It doesn't really mean anything... oh but it does! Waaaaahhhhh! It's not that I mind getting older - that's ok I guess. I'm just having a problem thinking about saying that I'm...ok I can do this... THIRTY, instead of in my twenties. As ridiculous as it sounds, Reas has 5 more months until his 30th and I think I'm actually jealous. Jealous of women who's husbands have to turn 30, 40, and 50 before them. Obviously, I wouldn't trade my husband for anything, but couldn't he have been born just a few months earlier?
Well, tomorrow will come around and life will go on, so I guess I'll just "live it up." So far today, I've had Lucky Charms for breakfast, had chocolate milk with my lunch, and maybe I'll just bake brownies for dinner. Afterall, I'll only have my twenties-ish metabolism for 11 more hours.
And I suppose when I post next time I'll still be me - just an older, wiser, and 30 year-old me. I think I can do this now. Every now and then, a girl, I mean a WOMAN, just needs a good therapeutic rambling.
Labels: birthdays
You are amazing being able to still do flips on the trampoline and on the bars. I am impressed! I hope you have a GREAT birthday! 29 was my worst year - 30 wasn't as bad. I hope you live through the 5 months where Reas isn't quite there. We love you, you are great!
Sylvia said...
November 12, 2008 at 4:44 PM
So turning thirty isn't really that bad it's just a number. You can be as old as you want to be. Thats how I am getting through being thirty. Have a Happy birthday!!!
Kelli said...
November 13, 2008 at 12:24 AM
As Chris proves regularly: you're only young once but you can stay immature forever. (He actually has that on a magnet on the garage fridge! :-)
Happy 30th birthday!!! We love you and think you are incredibly spunky and youthful regardless of your number!
Laura Z said...
November 13, 2008 at 1:03 PM
Happy Birthday Carrie! I remember trying a few of those tricks too sometime near the end of my twenties. When I tried a backhand spring, I thought I'd ripped out every stomach muscle I'd ever had. I have found the thirties much better than the twenties. Just think you can always get Reas back bigger and better.
Ingrid said...
November 13, 2008 at 2:04 PM
Oh, so sorry. I have the same problem. I can't quite give up being a kid either.
My husband is older than me and is always teasing me that I will never be as wise as him. Count your blessings.
Mandagirl said...
November 13, 2008 at 3:40 PM
Happy Birthday Carrie. You are going to love your 30's.
Janis said...
November 13, 2008 at 6:37 PM
hehehe Ok, Carrie, sorry but I just have to laugh at your OLDNESS PHOBIA! You are one of the most un-old people I know girl! I think between Shelly always wanting to be older, and you not wanting to be older, there's gotta be a happy medium somewhere. No matter what age you are, you are an amazing woman, and someone I've always admired. Your creativity, kindness, generosity, sense of humor, honesty, and (especially!) writing talents continue to inspire me to be a better me, and be grateful I know YOU! I hope you had a great day, and are apreciating finally being well into your thirties(hehehe).
Crystalin Dunn said...
November 24, 2008 at 3:00 AM