We love Thanksgiving around here, but unfortunately are a little short on many meaningful family traditions. It's basically eat and eat...and eat, maybe throw in a good nap, and Reas likes some football of course. We do have one though that's going on its 4th year now, and the kids get so excited about it every year that it's motivating me to find some more ways to make Thanksgiving a little more about gratitude and a lot less about the food.
Here's what we do - and I'm hoping for some good ideas from everyone else. So please share!
We start out with our very featherless Thankful Turkey. He's just made out of laminated construction paper, but I think he's pretty cute. The trick is keeping him safe during the other 11 months of the year.
Then throughout November we add thankful feathers to him, so by Thanksgiving day he's got a beautiful bushel (bushel?) of feathers. I love seeing the new ideas the kids come up with. So far this year my favorite feather has got to be Maggie's "lectrisity" feather.

Love the idea! Our Thanksgiving traditions kind of depend on who we're Thanksgiving-ing (is that even a word?) with. I ALWAYS bring chocolate pie - since it's the only kind I like. I'll have to think more about what our de facto traditions might be and do a post. Thanks for the inspiration.
Laura Z said...
November 14, 2008 at 5:33 PM
so guess what we made for fhe last night!!!?? our very own thankful turkey :) thanks for the idea, evan loves it and we had to put 4 more feathers on it tonight :)
Fulkerson Clan said...
November 18, 2008 at 9:14 PM
Thanks for the turkey for primary. It worked out great and helped me not have to make one right now. Thanks.
Kim H said...
November 20, 2008 at 12:26 AM