Pages

Yes, I know the word choice is a little harsh, but at the moment it's accurate. Isn't it ironic how the same hormones that are working hard to create a sweet little baby can be so horrible for us mommies? And for everyone around us, for that matter. My dear sweet, honey who totally deserves husband of the year after putting up with me today hasn't even thrown me out the door yet.

My day was rolling along as usual and then, in an instant, the world was bleak and out to get me. All because Reas called from work to say hi and to see how we were doing. Had he stopped there, maybe things would've been different, but he had to go and tell me that he probably would rather NOT go to Costco with me - that he might be too tired. The nerve!! And then to top things off when I kindly asked if he had any ideas for dinner he couldn't think of a single thing!! Doesn't he know that it's hard to come up with dinner ideas day after day? Just one little suggestion would've been nice. And then... the hormonal beasts kicked in. Well fine. Be that way. But I'll show you (these are the beasts talking now). I'm going to make TACO SALAD for dinner, even though we just had tacos. Maybe next time you'll help me out a little. You have to understand Reas' thing with mexican food. He enjoys it, but can only stand so many taco seasoning flavored meals in one week. MWAHAHAHAHAHA, say the beasts. He's just gonna love THIS.

So by the time he gets home, I'm a mess, really for no good reason, but trying to hide it. The kids are crying, fighting, and I'm not doing a thing to stop them because I'M busy making taco salad. I said hi - how was your day -the typical, but was mostly quiet. He knew right away he was treading some murky water. Neener neener neeeeener. We've taken over, say the beasts.

Now I don't really know how the male mind works, but I can try to imagine what he might have been thinking in this situation, drowning in my flood of nonsensical madness, which I am attributing 100% to pregnancy. Something along the lines of, "jeesh, Carrie's like super mad right now. I wonder what I should say. I think I'd better stay quiet just in case I say the wrong thing." And of course, I'M thinking, "Can't he tell I'm feeling rotten all over right now? Why doesn't he say something? I'm not making eye contact and I'm a little too enthusiastic about browning this beef. That's ALWAYS a bad sign!"

Still he's quiet. I'm about to boil over and the floodgates are seconds away from letting loose - all for no reason remember. Except I'm pregnant. And The Beasts. Have. Taken. Over.

Dinner was practically silent. I had to excuse myself TWICE to go have a little sob session in the bathroom.

By the time I returned from my second cry everyone else was pretty much done eating. I sat there eating in silence. Alone. And miserable. And wanted everyone to know it. So you know what Reas did? He did the only kind, husbandly, selfless thing that was left to do for a wilting hormonal wife. First he thanked me for a delicious dinner (which was meant to be not so delicious), then he made sure the KIDS thanked me for dinner, then he started doing all the dinner dishes, and THEN to top it off he said, "The kids need baths tonight. I'll bathe them and you can go out."

WHAT!?!?! No retaliation? You're not going to get mad because I'm behaving like a wild, selfish, baby, brat of a woman? You're going to be nice and thoughtful and sensitive even after I've treated you like this? And give me my OWN night out? Awwwwww. And just like that the beasts were quiet - they fell asleep or something. I was myself again.

And you know what I chose to do on my night out? I went to Costco. Alone. And had a great time.

Honey, there's light at the end of the tunnel. Only 2 1/2 months to go.

10 comments:

I loved this blog. And yes you do have a sweet husband. Remember he's been through this 3 other times, and maybe he's catching on that the hormone beast is but a moment.
I love going to cosco by myself too. I can spend hours.

January 27, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

Thanks for the chuckle this morning. I've SO been there and (unfortunately for Chris) it didn't stop with pregnancy. Sometimes the lion tamer in my head can get the beasts to stop long enough to let Chris know that I'm completely irrational - and then he knows just what to do - feed the beasts and put them to bed! :-)

January 27, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

Carrie, this is why we love Reas! Mom

PS - We love you, too! You can be a brat and then make us all laugh about it!

January 27, 2009 at 7:23 PM  

I hope you are feeling better. Reas is a good sport. I have those beast 4 weeks out of the month. I know how those sly things work.

January 27, 2009 at 10:54 PM  

Love it! I had one of those days last Friday, but I don't have the excuse of pregnancy anymore to blame it on. So what's my excuse? Overworked and Underpaid!

January 28, 2009 at 6:01 PM  

Not Ingrid, this is her kind, sensitive (but not too sensitive) husband

Don't expect Reas to know what you're thinking. Men are not mind readers and it's not fair to expect them to be. Don't blame something else for your actions. What you have described is just being a woman. At this wonderful time in your life, you just happened to be even more womanly.

January 28, 2009 at 7:22 PM  

Feel free to delete Mike's comment if you want.:) I was laughing so hard at your post because I can so relate to what you are feeling right now. Mike had to read it to find out why I was laughing, and this is what you got. I just apologize right at the beginning of my pregnancy to anyone that I talk to for the rude things that might come out of my mouth. My head tells me to stop... I know I am being irrational but something takes over.
Call me next time you take an alone trip to Costco. I will probably need one too. Of course you'll have to explain to Mike why I need a night out because he is not a mind reader.

January 28, 2009 at 7:26 PM  

Hi Mike. Congratulations, you're the first man to ever leave me a post and guess what, you are hereby banned from it ever again.

January 28, 2009 at 8:16 PM  

heehee, good thing Mike's not too sensitive, huh? I have to give him some credit, though. He didn't seem concerned about women having little beasts telling them what to do, just about us blaming what we do on them. It just goes to show that married life really opens up the realm of possibilities for men.

February 22, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

Ah yes, the dreaded pregnancy hormones. That was very nice of Reas. What a sweet husband! I love reading your stories. You are one of the funniest writers ever. You really should write a book!

February 25, 2009 at 10:23 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home