WHAT has the world been hiding from me? There's no doubt today will go down in history! I have discovered a little something that will most certainly be on my "Top 10 things I want my Daughters to Learn Before Leaving Home" list. Maybe you already know this and maybe I'm going to look like a big dork for exposing my lack of cleaning know-how, but if even just ONE of my dear friends can benefit from this, it will all be worth it.
Here's the story. OK, it's not so much a story as just an issue. A very big issue. I have had glass shower door issues all of our married life (no, this isn't going to be a juicy post if that is where your little mind is taking you). Supposedly, shower doors are supposed to be clear. Mine ALWAYS end up permanently frosted. No way around it. I've tried everything...or so I thought. I've googled "how to get shower doors clean" at least 12 times and I always end up super frustrated. Scrubbing and scrubbing for nothing but a severely aggravated carpal tunnel. Glass gets to a point where no amount of windex, ammonia, vinegar, or the scruffiest, buffiest scratchy sponge can even begin to clean through the hard water. Even magic erasers won't work here. It's very VERY discouraging. I'm a firm believer in the fact that it's nearly impossible to keep a clean house if you're not happy with the way your house looks after such an effort to clean it. Why put forth the work if you're still unhappy with the end result? That's why it's important to make your house scream "YOU" and decorate with what makes you happy. Hold on. Getting off the subject here.
Back to showers, grime, and scrubbing.
It has been a neverending battle, so much so that when we were house hunting, the kind of shower we would be getting kind of had its place. You know that lovely Willie Nelson song, "Always on my Mind." Yeah, that kind of describes my relationship with my filmy glass showers. But once again, a glass shower in the master bath. Rad.
ENTER a bit of personal revelation. I was sitting rocking Lily because she was having a very sad day and that was the only way to help her. I was thinking about how nice it would be to get a shower sometime in the next century. Which led to "maybe I'll clean the shower while I'm in there" which led to "nevermind. Scrubbing that blasted door doesn't get me anywhere" which then led to "TRY THE S.O.S PADS." What! Seriously?! Those little things that I've had under my sink forever? I almost busted out in a HALLELUJA before I even tried it because I just knew it would work. Then there it was. Right on the box. Works on "glass shower doors."
And boy does it work! This is the only "just wipe and walk away" product I have actually seen truly work! OK, you DO have to rinse. But rinsing is NOT scrubbing. I know scrubbing.
I was so excited I started wiping everything! They work everywhere (I wouldn't recommend walls). You'll get things clean that you didn't even know needed cleaning. It's a miracle. I'm so grateful that us hard working mommas are entitled to a little revelation even when it's about our cleaning troubles. Life is good.
I'll swallow my pride and show you the BEFORE and AFTER. It's nothing short of amazing.
Notice how you CAN'T see the shower knob through the glass. Yes, I'm blushing.
Oh! Hello. There you are.
Alright friends. If you don't have a little box of these S.O.S scrubbies, go get yourself some. Then, you too can be gleefully domestic.
Next stop: get myself a squeegee to keep it this way!
Labels: fixin' up the place
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to admit I've tried everything in the bathroom as well but I've never tried SOS pads. I can't wait to try it!
The Blairs said...
July 4, 2009 at 6:03 AM
I must be the only wierd one that actually squeegies the shower door every day (well, if I'm being honest, I have JP do it every day because he showers last). But our home is almost four years old and the glass shower door still looks brand new. However, if I ever decide to not squeegee, now I know how to clean it. I'll have to try the sos pads on the outsides of my windows though...I wonder if it will work there. They get so dirty because it rains and snows so much here!
Tera said...
July 4, 2009 at 7:05 PM
i LOVE cleaning revelations! seriously, they are such a high! i felt that way about finally finding a way to get my tile grout clean that has been the anguish of my soul since we moved in almost 3 years ago. so, i totally know where your glee is coming from :) and i'll definitely be trying those sos scrubby pads!
Fulkerson Clan said...
July 10, 2009 at 7:22 PM