Pages

In the last 24 hours I have...

cut out curtains one handed
made enchiladas one handed
emptied the dishwasher one handed
moved laundry from washer to dryer one handed
made 2 pans of potatoes for a funeral one handed
googled "colic" and read numerous internet articles while standing and doing the baby dance
walked Lily up and down my street 12 times while singing all the verses to at least 5 primary songs
bawled like a baby
neglected 3 other children
taken a record speed shower to the sound of a screaming baby
drove to Jack in the Box at 10:00 PM so Reas and I could drown our sorrows in smoothies and milk shakes

In fact, I am typing this very minute one handed and standing up. Lily is one of those elevation sensitive babies.

Yes, the evidence is conclusive and the verdict is in. I've been avoiding the dreaded baby "C" word, hoping that this little Lily of ours would just get happy. I haven't even mentioned it to my mom, sisters, or closest friends. So, um girls - there you have it. Lily is colicky with a capital C. I guess she saves her "best" moments for when we are at home, so it's sort of been our little secret, but it all seems to be getting worse.

I'm not even going to ask for advice, mostly I'm just enlisting the help of blog therapy. I know there's not much I can do for her. However, any advice regarding how I can remain sane through this would be appreciated. I probably shouldn't go through the drive-thru every night.

So, to end on a happier note. I did get a laugh out of one of the articles I read last night. It was listing some of the possible contributors to colic. One of which stated...

* the presence of excessive anger, anxiety, fear, or excitement in the household;

ok. I'll admit we have some of that at times but LILY IS THE CAUSE OF ALL OF IT!

After reading through a whole list of causes, the last one was the best.

* probably a multitude of other factors as yet unknown.

Basically meaning, we don't know why the heck you have the saddest baby on the block so suck it up and deal with it.

Here's my current view of Lily. Close up and personal in the baby carrier. My back could use a break about now.

See that red nose? Yeah, that's from crying. A lot.



I better go check on the other kids now. I just heard Claire say, "I feel wicked!"

10 comments:

oh carrie, i'm so so so sorry. kendra was colicky too and her being my first i didn't know any different. i remember having jared give her lots of baths no matter how many in 1 day. i also remember going places just to go places cause it seemed to make her a little better. but i didn't have 3 others in tow. gosh that is tough. i wish you were here so i could take the other 3 for a bit. why must your strength be tested? weeks will turn to months and it will all fade. love ya babe.

July 17, 2009 at 5:08 PM  

I Carrie, I've always feared having a colicky baby. It's got to be so hard. I am so, so, so sorry. You just keep blogging. It's cheap therapy, and those of us that are nosey love to read all about it. Keep bouncing. It's only gonna get better. I'm pretty sure they out grow it, right!

July 17, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

I absolutely love reading your blog entries. You are so real. As a nanny I have experience "colicky" babies and boy it was a challenge! The thing that brought some peace of mind is that each phases is just a phase. This time will pass hopefully sooner rather than later. THe last girl I nannied had acid reflux and was fussy until she went on some medication that helped reduce the acid. Have you talked with your doctor? Just a thought. I am also a big fan of Hylands colic tablets. I really hope this time passes quickly! It can really be exhausting. I am sending good energy your way. Good luck!

July 17, 2009 at 11:30 PM  

It's hard to admit isn't it... we've had a bit of the colic over here too. It is amazing what can be done one handed isn't it? I've found brownies and a trip or two a week to Golden Spoon seem to help. Do you want to go one night next week? That picture of Lily just cracked me up. I've had a few colicky babies and it gets so much better around 4-5 months... doesn't sound great now, but you're getting closer and so am I.

July 18, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

Oh Deary, I am sorry too. Emma was colicky and I vowed never to have another child but I managed through it and now I have 3. Each baby I have I am amazed that they don't cry like Emma did.

I must be going through Carrie Withdrawls because I feel like running down to Vegas to visit.

July 18, 2009 at 6:46 PM  

I see you put up a new background. Cute! Are you still liking your header? Don't feel obligated to keep it. It matches pretty good. It's possible to get rid of the black lines around it if you want.

July 18, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

Hi Carrie,

I'm sorry things are rough right now. I've never had a colicky baby but two of my sister-in-laws, & their Doctors, thought they did. For one of them it turned out he was just allergic to her breast milk. For the other one it was the formula she was using, it took her a while but she finally found one that worked.

Maybe you will find yours will be simple to fix as well but either way, *HUGS*!

July 19, 2009 at 5:37 PM  

Oh, Care! I love this post. I love it! What a mom, it just makes me feel like what the heck am I complaining about. Ky was a rough babe. I found great joy in the 5 S's. I know you said no advice but the 5 S's is a miracle worker, and then also some acid reflux med for about 6 months really helped out. Oh, keep us up dated. Do you have air conditioning? If so at least that's on your side right? One more thing on your side is how busy you are, the newbie stage goes by so fast when you have other kids keepin' it real. ;)

July 19, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

I'm so impressed with you! I think I would use it as an excuse to stop cleaning and cooking. "Sorry I don't have two hands, guess I will just sit here and eat cupcakes.";) I hope you get some relief soon!

July 21, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

I'm so sad it took me so many days to check your blog!!! You know a baby break is just a phone call away. I love holding babies, even cute colicky ones!!!

July 22, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home