Funny how even though girls totally outnumber the boys in this family, there are some days when I feel like my world revolves around one thing - baseball. And then I go and do something to encourage it even more. WHAT am I thinking? I guess that I love my baseball loving kid. Ty's bedroom is taking on a bit of a baseball theme, despite the fact that I swore I'd never have a sports themed bedroom for my male posterity. I'm trying to deal with it the best I can. I guess what I don't like about sporty bedrooms is that they all look the same to me, with nothing unique that sets them apart from any other kid's bedroom. Which, now is a good time to declare to the world, or at least to my bloggy friends, that I don't like boy's bedrooms. That must be why I've been blessed with mostly girls. Flowers and pinkness is just so much easier to decorate with. Anyway, I digress.
So, Ty has a baseball bedroom. That's the way it is, and that's ok. But guess what. I like it. I do! It's coming along nicely and even has a few unique elements. One being that he does NOT have sporty bedding, and two his GLOBE. I found a yard sale globe for $3 intending to put it in the playroom where my intellectually minded children would choose to spend countless hours of free time memorizing the capitals of every African country and studying longitude and latitude in depth. BUT, since the globe turned out to be slightly damaged it needed a new use. Like uh, something along the lines of a giant baseball spinning on a tilted axis. Yeah. That sounds good.
Here's what it used to be.
Then with a little paint job...
I spray painted the whole thing, stand and all. It was much easier that way. Then I grabbed one of the hundreds of baseballs laying around the house to use as my guide, and drew "seams" and "stitching" with black and red sharpies. The funnest thing about this completed project is that well, it's not complete. All of Ty's buddies, cousins, aunts, uncles, or whoever he wants, get to sign his baseball. He's only collected a few signatures so far, but he's crazy about the idea.
I was finally able to fix up the Goodwill cabinet I found a while back. Let me refresh your memory.
I liked the original color, but it was pretty beat up, so it got a dose of new paint and updated hardware.
One more cool thing.. I have to show you what's inside the cabinet .
Little clothing cubbies!...or at least that's what I turned them into.
It works like a charm for Ty's dresser. I love it because it doesn't take up a lot of space, but is big enough for separating his clothes. The little basket in the middle - that's for socks and undies. A perfect fit, or what! It was $1, if you were curious...and I know you were.
And remember this DI frame? It just so happened to be the perfect size for a flag. And not just any flag, my thrifty friends - it's one of those little cloth ones on a dowel that your kids wave around during parades. It was .20 cents! Love it, love it, love it.
A little patriotism mixed in with the baseball decor...I can handle that.
Hi Carrie! I LOVE your baseball! With two boys of my own, I'm always looking for clever ideas for them! This one is going in my "save" file...not sure if I'll use it for a birthday party or maybe even a team party...year after year! Thanks for the idea! Will be a new follower!
Oh, and I found you on Anything Related Tuesdays!
Smiles!!
Jami said...
June 29, 2010 at 3:25 PM
ur killin me carrie--u r just TOOOOOOO amazing and creative. love the autographing idea. too fun. u do great work girl.
Laurie Von said...
June 30, 2010 at 8:15 AM
when are you coming to decorate my house? seriously!! i live right by a DI (that i haven't been to the whole 4 years we've lived here) if that info helps lure you here. boy i wish i had your skills--you are a genius carrie!
Fulkerson Clan said...
June 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM
If it is for Ty, it must be baseball. I love, love, love the giant autographed baseball. Only you would come up with that. It will be fun to see what else you have in store.
Ingrid said...
June 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM
Too cute!
Happy 4th to you and yours!
hugs from Savannah, Cherry
cherry said...
July 1, 2010 at 5:17 AM
I LOVE the globe! I feel like I see people do a lot of stuff with old globes, but I've never seen anything cute! Someone recently offered me a free globe and I was like "no" because crafting with globes isn't cute... right??? Wrong! This is just adorable! I love it so much- great idea!
Lacy @ Catholic Icing said...
July 1, 2010 at 6:12 AM
so cute.
Kim H said...
July 6, 2010 at 4:19 PM