Last day of school...wahoo!!!! I love the freedom of summer. After a busy week of assemblies, projects, and end of the school year fun, it's finally here. Today we celebrated with pizza for dinner, otter pops and the first sprinkler run of the season.



Over dinner, we discussed our Summer to do list. Last year I started out the summer with a plan. Each day of the week had a theme (what was I thinking?)...Monday - craft day, Tuesday - cooking day, Wednesday, field trip day, etc. That plan lasted all of about 2.5 days, and I'm breaking out in a nervous sweat just thinking about it. It was way too involoved, required far too much planning, and that's not really me. Especially during the Summer. Moms need a break too. Last summer wasn't a waste - I learned what DOESN'T work. This year we're taking a whole new approach. It's flexible, with a good mix of spur of the moment activities and some that take a little planning, but the best part is I'm not locked into ANYTHING. Now hold onto your seat. You're going to be amazed at my creativity. We...Made...A...List. I know. Amazing. Everyone had a say. And everything went on the list. Well, almost everything. Maggie tends to get very silly in these situations.

I made a poster and the kids can check off activities as we do them. Of course, some of them will probably be done more than once, and maybe others not at all. Oh, what a productive (in a fun way) summer this will be! It's going to be kind of handy to have a list to refer to on those "I'm bored days."
Can you believe another school year is over? Well, one more day for us and then we will join the party too. I love summer, and we are adding visiting the Allen's on our "To Do List". Sarah is already counting the days until she can play with Claire.
Ingrid said...
June 3, 2010 at 2:10 PM
I remember my parents making lists for summer too. Nothing better than some old fashioned summer fun! I want to come run through your sprinklers!
Ammo and Josh said...
June 3, 2010 at 8:25 PM
You are such a clever woman! I love this, I tried to do what you said last year too, it didn't work out how I thought it would. I'm so doing this idea instead. I'm so excited to do this today! PS. I'm not sure if you know Jess and I started our own charity, and we're having an acoustic festival on Aug 21st at Thanksgiving Point, Lehi. Les is going to come and I think she should pick you up on the way and we'll all stay at Ninas! :)
Stephanie M Larsen said...
June 4, 2010 at 9:20 AM
I am SO happy school is out. Please include cupcake/swimfest at the Jeppson's on your list. :)
P.S. your yard looks great!
Jori said...
June 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM
I wish summer would start already over here. I am so ready. I have a picture of me exactly like the one of maggie running through the sprinklers, those were the good days.
Crys said...
June 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM
you are so great and creative. thanks for being an awesome friend. I think we will do something like this also.
Kim H said...
June 17, 2010 at 1:22 PM