Pages

buried

Somehow I made it through the first half of my married life believing that making lists and getting another bucket would solve all of life's problems.  If I was stressed, I made a list. It would help me stay focused on my priorities.  If I had too much stuff, I found a nice bin to put it in.  Yeah...somehow the logic just really isn't there on that one.  Then instead of lots of little things here and there, I had one HUGE plastic bin to find a place for.  Buckets don't work.  They will consume the bucketeer (that was me).  In the last 5 years I've made great strides in overcoming this "solution" to too much stuff.  Now I'm pretty darn good at just getting rid of it.  I hate stuff.  I love dumping stuff at DI.  It's very liberating.

But, unfortunately one rather large bucket problem remains and really I see no alternative.  It's the kid clothes issue.  Is there some other ingenius method that I've not thought of?  Please say yes.  We're now up to 11 large totes filled with either outgrown clothes, or clothes waiting to be grown into.  Seriously, we could park a Harley in the bucket area of the garage.  All the totes being stored in the garage really just lead to trouble because as clothes are outgrown they get thrown into a pile in some unlucky corner until it gets so big that I'm forced to have a bucket day.  Most recently, it was in a corner of Claire's room.  One day last week when Cosmo the hamster went missing for a few days, I realized that pile of clothes would be an awesome hiding spot for him and we'd probably never find him there.  And if he were a she with lots of babies in her belly, think how disgusting that'd be.  Lucky for us, he's a he (not that I'd know exactly how to tell on a hamster - I'm just going by what it said on his hamster profile).  Anyway, I knew it was time to tackle the pile.

I hate bucket day.  Separating all the clothes into boy's or girl's, then by sizes.  Then the worst part, digging out all the corresponding buckets.  THEN, finding the next size up clothes for each kid so I don't end up buying new unnecessary clothes (heaven forbid).  Then the VERY worst part - just as I think I'm making sense of the madness I turn around to see Claire pulling clothes from buckets because everything is so pretty she wants to try it all on.  It happens every time.  Now Lily's a participant as well.

Finally, hours later when it's all done, I think the same disheartening thought I have after every bucket day...I need more buckets.



Maybe 10 clothing racks and my own department store would work too, but since I don't see that happening in my future, any good ideas?

...and it's a little too late to suggest limiting family size!

5 comments:

With Leah being my second girl, I'm barely getting started into this. I have certainly enjoyed buying Emma and Isaac clothes and not having to deal with pulling out any buckets. As organized as I've tried to be... some how I can't seem to find the articles of clothes that I'm looking for or hoping will fit. For instance, where has that ladybug costume gone?

October 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

You are signing my song. If you get any great advice, send it my way. Right now is a tough time cuz Brynna is outgrowing most of her 4T's but there are some she still fits. So we can't pack away the 4T box cuz we'd have to dig it out again to put the other stuff in when she eventually outgrows them or...which is much more likely, they end up on her closet shelf likely at anytime to fall down on someone's head. So, right now we have the 4T bucket on her shelf instead waiting for her to outgrow the rest of the clothes. Just to prove a point about my laziness. The bucket is on the shelf, but there are clothes that I've tossed up on the bucket lid because I'm too lazy to actually open the lid and put the clothes inside!

October 11, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

ugh! i HATE this dilemma too. i hate hate hate all the clothes! bins and bins of the stuff...

i have no advice. i just wanted to commiserate.

October 11, 2010 at 5:05 PM  

Yesterday I read this great quote, "If you get rid of the clutter you don't have to organize it!" That doesn't exactly fit this situation, but I loved it. Now, as your mom, you know me - I'm a concealer. I just keep finding better and better hiding places. Now, when we moved into this house 20 years ago, I had to go through EVERYTHING in the old house. The children's size buckets were the worst. I still had baby clothes and my baby was eight years old! As I went through the clothes I kept thinking...now why did I save, for instance, 12 "play" shirts? etc... If I had to do it over again I'd do what a friend of mine did (and I was too weak to do). She figured that she did laundry at least once a week, so she only saved a weeks worth of clothes in each season and size. And she only saved the very best. She explained that by the time the next child grew into the clothes, there would be birthdays, Christmas, and new styles, and to give her room to shop just for fun. Her kids always looked great and, I know firsthand, there was room in their drawers to put clothes away - they didn't just wear the top 3 inches that had to be shoved in on top of the unloved clothes. I think the key here is to count what you're saving - you choose a number that you think would work. I am in awe of all you younger moms - it is a much more complicated world that you are mothering in - you are all amazing!

October 12, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

I am RIGHT there with you! With the birth of our 3rd, a boy, I have been going through the buckets of our first born, a boy. However, when our 2nd, a girl, was born, I borrowed some of the gender neutral clothes from older sibling, and now, the bins are a total chaotic mess! I am determined to park in the garage before the snow flies (and since I live in Utah, that could be any time now!), so I have to go clean these buckets out. But it's causing me anxiety! =D
Funny story - Shopko is having a "Lowest Price of the season" sale, and my husband was looking through it; of course the buckets are on a killer sale. He looks at me all excited, and says "Hey, do we need more buckets? They're on SALE!" :p It's a disease, I tell ya!

October 15, 2010 at 7:42 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home