Pages

I decided to stop by the semi-new Rod Works store that openend up here about 5 months ago.  I've been intentionally avoiding it...some temptations are simply better to just leave alone.  Sometimes I buy stuff at home decor stores, but not usually. Usually, I walk around the store playing undercover craft detective.  At Rod Works there are signs everywhere saying not to take photographs of their cute things...that made my job a little harder.  I snooped around pretending to be interested in buying something even though I had already decided firmly against that.  Really, I was just figuring out how to make their stuff.  Arrest me.  I came away with a kazillion ideas! 

Some of their cutest stuff is SO simple, like why haven't I already done that simple?

I came home, gathered stuff from around the house, and went to work.  In about one hour's time I had some new festive Fall fun without buying anything new.  Hear that Honey?  I didn't buy a thing!!

First up, our favorite Halloween line from "5 Little Pumpkins" in a frame:

  Funny how you can stick anything in a frame and it all of the sudden looks important.  Make it say anything you want.  I chose this line because our kids love this Halloween poem.  Probably because it's the only Halloween songy thing I know, so we sing it 117 times every October.  It's also a good reminder for the family to beware of the witch that sometimes flies through this house.  **cackle cackle**


Find a frame.  Print your saying out on regular old paper to fit the frame. You're done.




Easy project #2.  Decor balls to mix in with baby pumpkins, gourds, pinecones, or whatever you want:

Everyone has seen these.  They're nothing new, but they continue to be way overpriced.  I don't know why I never thought of just making some.  Duh.  With some balls of various sizes and a glue gun, the possibilities are endless.  Seriously,  these things could be covered in anything.  Leaves, fake moss, twine, beans, scrapbook paper, beads, berries.  And any ball will work.  No need to go out and buy styrofoam ones because well, they're way overpriced too.  Just sneak some old wiffle or tennis balls from your 6 year old...he'll never miss them.


I made one wrapped in twine, one covered in white beans, and a mossy one.  My finger tips are all burned, but I've got stuff to show for it, so the pain is all for the greater good.

Easy project #3.  Bundles O' Sticks.  I don't know why these things are so charming to me, but they look good anywhere and suddenly make you want hot chocolate and pumpkin pie.  So here's the intricate details:

Find some sticks in your backyard.  Break them so they're about the same length (mine are about 10 inches). Wrap some twine around them a few times.



Complicated, I know.

Then you put it all together with Dollar Tree gourds, sit back, and enjoy the fact that you've just completed something that won't have to be redone tomorrow (dishes...laundry...toilets, blah blah blah).



Happy October 1st!!  And it's even raining here today.  Might just be time to bust out the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.
























BWS tips button

8 comments:

Lovin your thrifty decor! Happy Fall!

Blessings,
Linda

October 1, 2010 at 3:21 PM  

Your are such a smartie!!! I am going to copy some of these very cute!!

October 1, 2010 at 4:00 PM  

Found your blog through links! Love your blog!
If you ever need new recipes or want to be featured..than please come become a follower to see daily updates and email us if you would like us to feature you!!!

October 1, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

Found your blog through links! Love your blog!
If you ever need new recipes or want to be featured..than please come become a follower to see daily updates and email us if you would like us to feature you!!!

October 1, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

I love your blog. I could spend hours reading it (if I had hours) You have a great gift. Thanks for taking the time to share your life and wonderful ideas with us. I miss you.

October 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM  

I don't know...this seems kinda tricky ;)

If you get a chance, I'd love for you to link to this on Not "Baaad" Sundays with LambAround!

October 3, 2010 at 5:56 PM  

I love all your fall decorations they are so beautiful and oh so festive. Carrie you are as usual so crafty and inspirational :> I love your menu page too:>

October 10, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

Hi there! I am your newest follower!!! I found you on the Sunday linky!! I love finding new blogs and your is lovely:)
You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

Beautiful family!! blessings to you! I've got some great handmade giveaways for baby stuff on my blog if you'd like to check it out

October 17, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home