Pages


Lois, I'll marry you if you promise whole wheat for my posterity.

I always feel sort of bad when I do things to my kids that I remember not liking as a kid.  For example, the older than dirt mom vs. kid battle over white bread/wheat bread.  I NEVER buy white bread, just like my mom never bought white bread for us, and I'm sure her mom never bought white bread for her.   Reas will buy it when he does the shopping along with soda, chips, sugar cereal, and all that stuff that makes me the bad guy and him the good guy.  That's why I do the shopping.  Not that I don't enjoy eating all his loot, I'm just trying to see the big picture here.

My kids know white bread despite my efforts to keep them in the dark.  They know it's fluffy, soft, and it's what's on all the Jif commercials.  Really, when's the last time you saw the cute 5 year-old on TV spreading her p.b. over grainy, seedy, dry, cardboard bread?  As a sidenote, I actually like eating seedy grainy bread now, but it took me a good long time to acquire a taste for so much health.

So when Ty jumped in the car after school and said, "Hey Mom, did you know that Zamir's mom makes his peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread...EVERYDAY?"  I just had to laugh a little.

Well, no I didn't know that Ty, but did you know that Zamir is probably vitamin deficient and lacking adequate fiber in his diet?  I'm sure he is because why else would my mom have made us eat whole wheat bread all those years?   There's got to be a good reason.  Now go eat your whole wheat and be happy.  If you're good, maybe Santa will bring you a loaf of white bread in your stocking...or at least a slice.

And as for me, I don't see myself becoming a white bread mom in order to keep up with Zamir's mom.  I don't succumb to peer pressure all that easily.  In fact, I'm learning that if I slightly deprive my children it's all the more easy to make them happy.  While all the other kids are asking for ipods, video games, and skinny jeans, mine just want a little ol' sandwich on white.   How's that for playing your cards right?

8 comments:

Well, my kids don't get white bread either but they still want skinny jeans, ipods and video games...just read about Lauren's birthday. So what am I doing wrong?

I remember being jealous of the lunch your mom packed you everday for school. I only wished my mom would have packed me a lunch. She never did. I even packed my own lunch in 1st grade. So, I guess I can pull that out if my kids ever complain about their lunches. I can hear it now, "When I was a kid I would have been happy to just have my mom pack me a lunch." Though, my kids have never asked for white bread. They don't mind the wheat bread at all. Maybe cuz they have skinny jeans they need to fit in to!

October 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM  

Tera, you're not doing anything wrong...the problem is your kids like the wheat bread, so it's not something they care about. You have to find something else really awful...like make them eat oatmeal w/o sugar or something. But really what it all probably boils down to is that my kids aren't cool enough to ask for skinny jeans and I'm pretty sure they don't even know what an ipod is!!

October 13, 2010 at 5:09 PM  

Tera, honey, you're being the mom that other kids are jealous of. And yes, Carrie, deprivation works - look how good you turned out!

October 13, 2010 at 7:14 PM  

i think white bread is icky. and i'm pretty picky about what wheat bread i'll buy too (it's not all the same that's for sure!). in fact, i've decided, one day in the near future, i'm going to try making my own wheat bread. now, i'm not ready to get out the wheat grinder or anything, but we'll see how it turns out. thank goodness my kids like wheat bread!! and i loved that you said zamir is probably vitamin deficient and his diet is lacking in fiber! hahaha!!!

October 13, 2010 at 9:01 PM  

I love the way you write Carrie. You are always so funny. I too am a whole wheat mom. My kids actually don't know the difference, but a little while back we had two of Keagans friends from church over and I made them sandwiches and the children refused...REFUSED...to eat it because the bread looked all brown and weird. I laughed and Keagan just looked at them like they were crazy. There mom is also a white bread mom. So go you for supporting the wheat bread company...well not really a company but the type I guess. Us moms, of vitamin filled kids, have to stick together right:>

October 14, 2010 at 7:22 AM  

Years ago-after hanging out with you long enough, I switched to wheat bread and butter. No more margarine or white bread. The kids don't even remember there is white bread, and if they do, they never ask for it. They are even content eating the 'brown' hot dog and hamburger buns. They would probably think it was weird if I came home with the white bread.

October 14, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

Matthew has been known to say thank you in his prayers for the white bread that his dad brought home from the store. I love wheat bread too, and feel kind of bad for kids that eat the white fluffy stuff. Is it really good? Does it even taste like bread? I just don't remember and I don't want to ever try it again. It is great when you can make them happy with things like white bread.

October 14, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

How many of you have to hear week after week about how good the WHITE sacrament bread is. I am sure my kids mmmmmm's can be heard for rows!!

October 16, 2010 at 4:32 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home