Pages

I'm officially tackling the kids' toy room.  I've been putting it off for a looooong time. It's a big room...  16 x 18 feet, and so it has always seemed a bit daunting.

This is an old picture, but it's pretty much still the same, minus the bed and pack 'n play.  Project Toy Room has been in my head for 2 1/2 years, but for one reason or another nothing has ever happened.  I'm here to say, it's happening!  Wahoo!




My inspiration for the new room comes from these fun colors:



This super cute fabric that became even cuter with the $3/yard price tag:


These picture frames (about 12"x15". Weird size, but I'll make it work) 
They were lovingly handmade for Reas' grandma by his grandpa:
...and I've inherited 12 of them!:





And this horrible thrift store framed thing (it's much worse in real life):



A beauty, isn't it?

Here's my to-do list.  I need tasks to check off for a little sense of accomplishment along the way.

Make handprint art with kids
Paint frames
hang the artwork
buy a curtain rod
sew window treatments
paint the bench
paint the bookcase
organize the game cubbies
find a BIG clock
find new storage for blankets
make a chalkboard

Since this room is really all about our kids, I want it to be theirs, and something they're proud of.  Right now, it's toys...everywhere. I'm about to start throwing things out the window into the neighbor's yard.  Their dogs always love a good chew toy.  This week I've been downsizing big time, but have also finished one fun project.

I helped each of the kids make their own handprint art.  I think they turned out pretty darn cute.  I love kid handprints, especially when they're not made of peanut butter and jelly and on my walls. REAL painted handprints are the perfect way to celebrate childhood. 

Maggie (9) made elephants.



Ty (6) made clown fish:



Claire (4) chose a butterfly:


Lily (18 mo.) didn't have a choice.  She made tulips because she could smear and smudge a bit without causing problems:



 Here's how I hung them:



I hung a cheap-o curtain rod.  I used eye hooks to mount it rather than the hardware that came with the rod, so it would be closer to the wall.  It's pretty much flush with the wall. 

I got a length of chain from Home Depot and allowed 20 inches for each frame.  Each picture is mounted to the wall on a nail.  The chains are just for looks.  They're hot glued to the backs of the frames and draped over the rod, but they're not supporting any weight.



Now everyone is loving showing off their handprints to anyone who is willing to look.  And I can't seem to stop looking.

There are other fun ideas for art to make with your kids' handprints here.







10 comments:

Way fun. I love the hand prints for art idea. You're very talented Carrie.

October 22, 2010 at 6:37 PM  

so cute! i can't wait to see the rest...

October 22, 2010 at 9:10 PM  

Great idea! Looks fabulous too!

October 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM  

This is really cute!

October 23, 2010 at 6:43 AM  

You are brilliant!!!!! I love the handprints, and LOVE the way you hung them.

October 23, 2010 at 9:50 AM  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the handprint art! And, the way you displayed them is too cute!

October 24, 2010 at 7:51 PM  

You are inspiring! I love how the toy room is coming along. The colors are great. They remind me of when we were picking out fabric for Lily's and Caroline's quilt. Does the fabric from Lily's quilt look anything like that?

October 25, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

I love this! Great job! I love the little hand prints, meaningful art is the best.

October 25, 2010 at 7:37 PM  

What an amazing and creative way to involve your children in decorating! It is so inspiring =)

October 27, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

This is sooo cute I love it!! Now I just want to go do the finger painting animals and fun! =)

October 30, 2010 at 2:42 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home