Pages

Grandpa

Today my heart is full of love, gratitude, and sadness all mixed into one.  My Grandpa passed away last night peacefully in his home with family surrounding him on every side.  I can't say it was unexpected, but it's still a difficult thing when reality sets in.  Grandpa has left a legacy of faith in God, love for all people, and dedication to what is right and good.  He will be missed by sweet Grandma, 8 children, 36 grandchildren, and whole lot of great grandchildren.  It's no coincidence that his passing happened now, right before Thanksgiving.  He loves holidays.  He loves his family being together. I know he will be smiling down at our enormous family and he'll be happy.  I'm looking forward to being with my family this week and celebrating his life and the legacy he has left for us.  

On Saturday, just one day before he died, he was able to be in one of our church's sacred temples to witness the marriage of yet another grandson.  That night at the wedding reception, he danced one last time with Grandma.   How sweet and wonderful that he could enjoy that one last earthly experience with his wife and loved ones.

Love you, Grandpa. You are loved, and will be missed. Thank you for your incredible life and the many sacrifices you have made for your family. Until we meet again.







7 comments:

I am so sorry. I understand how sad you must feel.I wish I had wise and comforting words to share, but I hope you at least know that I love you, and know that just as sad as you are now, and will always be, you will also be able to wrap yourself in the warmth of the years of memories you have of him. You were blessed to have him as your Grandfather, and so blessed to live so close to him and have so much more time with him than you might have otherwise!

November 22, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

The picture of your grandpa and grandma holding hands is the sweetest. I am sure that his passing away will leave an empty spot in your heart. It sounds like he is going to be missed by a lot of people. I'll be thinking about you and your family as you honor him this week.

November 22, 2010 at 6:26 PM  

This made me cry!! That is SOOOO sweet and special that your grandparents were able to share one last dance together the night before he passed to the other side. How wonderful to spend one last time in the temple witnessing the marriage of a grandchild. Sounds like your grandpa left behind an amazing legacy!

November 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM  

So sorry Carrie. It sounds like your Grandpa was energetic right to the very end. So happy he was able to dance with your Grandma one last time. hugs.

November 25, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

I'm so sorry about your grandpa. Both of my grandfathers passed on last year, and it's been rough without them. My husbands father is in the hospital today after a heart attack; I wonder if heaven is just needing more valiant missionaries! How neat to have spent his last day in the temple - he sounds like a great man!
(((HUG))

November 28, 2010 at 12:30 PM  

Oh Carrie, I am very sorry and sad to hear about your grandpa, Lindsey told me about that last week. I remember when he gave me my patriarchal blessing. It was one of the most spiritual experiences I have ever had. Your grandparents were so sweet. I also remember thinking how cool it was that they had a wall in their home full of pictures of their family:) My thoughts and prayers are with your family and your grandma.

November 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

Carrie, this has been such a crazy week, I just now read your blog about grandpa. Thank you for saying what we all feel. The picture of him on our couch is how I most remember him.

November 29, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home