Anyone who's read my stuff for any length of time knows that Lily is somewhat of a challenge. She was a difficult baby, she may even be a more difficult toddler. It's just that she is so strongwilled and stubborn and I guess those mean the same thing, but her extreme level requires two descriptive words. And dang it - two year-olds just aren't all that rational, and are incapable of much, if any, logical thinking. At least this two year-old isn't. TWO is hard enough, but then you add Lily's personality to two year-old qualities and man, you've got some serious stuff. She's cute though, so she's got that going for her. Some days her looks are the only thing that saves her from being locked out of the house. Kidding. Kind of.
So. Taking into consideration her personality and her special qualities, I have not given much thought to potty training our little firecracker. It just seemed so very very VERY out of reach for her at this time. And quite frankly, putting a diaper on a kid is much easier than potty training.
But wait! We are talking Lily here. The girl who's full of surprises. We never know how she'll react until she's doing it. So it shouldn't really come as a surprise that, here it comes, LILY IS WEARING BIG GIRL UNDIES!! She's done. She made it. She is a professional pottier by anyone's definition. It happened in all of about 1 1/2 days, and I deserve no credit for her accomplishment. And I sure as heck didn't plan for this event. A couple nights ago, after her bath, I wrapped a towel around her, and she suddenly started whining and crossing her legs and scrunching over...obviously holding it in so as to not potty on my carpet. I LOVE this girl! I put her on the toilet, she went. I almost cried tears of joy. Seriously, my eyes got a little watery. She was so excited too. I did a happy potty dance for her, which I continue to perform each and every time she goes. Not because she asks me to. It's really because I can't hold back my emotions. The next morning, we went to Target to get pretty underwear for her and the rest is history.
No more puffy pants for me...
La la la la la laaaaaa! WAY TO GO, smarty pink princess pants!! And now I love it how when the other kids get home from school she gives them the run down about which panties she's wearing and which bathrooms she has used.
So Lily, for as many times as I've thrown my arms up in the air out of exhasperation and frustration about how to survive some days, I will say, that YOU by far got this toilet thing down easier than any kid I've heard of. It just goes to show that a little stubborness and strong will isn't a bad thing when it's shooting for a good cause.
Hooray Lily! I am so happy for you, and so sad for myself. I am sure Hal will be in college before she uses the potty. Maybe Lily can have a chat with her. :)
jorijepps said...
October 14, 2011 at 5:38 AM
Way to go Loose-britches Lily! I tell ya, that girl is destined to go places.
Crystalin Dunn said...
October 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM
how can she be potty trained when she still has those cute baby rolls?
shelly said...
October 14, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Wow! Go Lily! That is amazing!
Amber and Co. said...
October 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM
Hooray for Lily and congratulations to you. I am so so so happy for you, and the easiness of it all. You all deserve something easy. I think stubborn and strong will might just equal a good potty trainer.
Ingrid said...
October 15, 2011 at 7:17 PM
Congratulations to you both! I tell you what...if these strong willed kids put their minds to it, there will be no stopping them. Yeah for only buying one size of diapers!!!!
Tera said...
October 17, 2011 at 6:28 AM