Pages

There hasn't been much time for blogging...I've been too busy picking paint out of my arm hairs and getting to know my new birthday electric sander.  My birthday is still a couple of weeks away, but I needed the sander NOW!  And I love it - I'm pretty sure it's the most romantic birthday present Reas has ever given me.  I've been gathering projects left and right over the last few days that were going undone since last year when our sander quite literally blew up in my hands. Power tools - gotta love them...except when that happens.

I've been anxious to tackle this hand me down side table.  When we were given it 8 years ago, it was pine color.  Then it went black, then all white.



The girls have been using it for tea parties, but they had two tables, so I don't feel too guilty.  I wanted it for the living room, but thought it needed a little grown up makeover first.  I took my sander to the top and sides.





Then gave it a wood stain pretreatment/conditioner and let it sit for 15 minutes. This is to help the stain go on more evenly.



Then wiped it down with a mahogany stain, and let it dry for 24 hours.


Then brushed on polyurethane for protection.  Make sure to use a cheap throw away sponge brush if you don't want to hassle with paint thinner to clean your brush. 


And THEN let it dry some more before bringing it in, so we don't all come away with highs from the fumes.  What was technically supposed to be another 24 hours turned out to be about 8, but it wasn't all that stinky.  Who does things the technical way, anyway?

Staining is actually pretty easy.  And the directions are all right on the cans. Pretty much you just wipe it all on with rags in nice even strokes.  The hardest part is being patient enough to let it dry between steps.  I always skimp on the dry times, but I figure on a warm sunny day with 0% humidity, it's fine.

Here's my almost finished table - it still needs a fresh coat of paint on the legs, but you get the idea. Claire was sure to tell me that she does NOT approve.  She wishes it were blue - way to rain on my parade.  I honestly am a little scared to see the home this girl makes for herself someday.




My next project: Turn this $1 cabinet door I found into something super useful for the bathroom.

4 comments:

You did such a great job on your table!! I want that cabinet door! I want to make that Halloween save the date thing from Lil Luna. Can't wait to see what you do with it. :)

October 28, 2011 at 8:56 AM  

the table looks great, i have one in the same finish. i think i know what you are doing n the door........

October 28, 2011 at 9:15 AM  

Ooh, it looks awesome! I love that stain color - one of my favorite! Way to go! :)

October 28, 2011 at 2:01 PM  

Carrie you do the best DIY projects!

October 28, 2011 at 7:55 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home