Yesterday was Maggie's big day. She partied non-stop sun up to sun down as any newly 8 year-old should. Eggos for breakfast, a lunch date with her super great primary teacher, Sis. Butler, and Cici's Pizza for dinner. Yes, there was lots of food involved.
Squeezed in between all the eating we found time for opening birthday presents. She loved her new set of her very own shiny scriptures. We were a little worried that she wouldn't be all that excited about them, but I think the smile says otherwise.
Ty and Claire had the best time shopping for their gift for her. They picked out all sorts of girly fun things like lip gloss, lotion, and sparkley nail polish to fill up a make-up bag...which was really a glorified pencil pouch. As a side note - pencil pouches make great make-up bags for an 8 year-old and they're about 1/10th the cost.
Next, we headed out to Santa Fe Station for some bowling. The kids loved it! As for Reas and I, we were really glad we had decided on playing only one game. I honestly didn't know it was possible for the ball to move that slowly down the lane. We were so happy when we discovered those little ramp thingies for the kids.
Unfortunately, nobody had a stellar bowling night. Scores aren't all that important anyway, right? It's your FORM that counts.
After our 1 1/2 hour bowling game, we were all starving. Cici's was next on the agenda. Sorry no pictures - I was too busy eating. In fact, we were so stuffed after all-you-can-eat pizza, salad, brownies, and cinnamon rolls that the birthday cake didn't happen until today after church. TWO days of birthday fun.
Maggie is such a sweet girl! She is a wonderful sister and such a huge help to me. It took some adjusting on my part after she went back to school. I hadn't realized how much I had come to depend on her. At the kids' school they have a program where each week the classes focus on a different life skill. At the end of the week, one award goes out in each class to the student who best shows that skill. Last week, she was awarded the Life Skill Award for Friendship. It makes me happy and proud to know that she is so kind to everyone. In a few weeks will be her baptism. We are all excited about that next step in her life. We love her and are grateful she's part of our family.
Happy Birthday Maggie!
The eighth year is such an exciting one for our child and for us. There aren't words to describe what it feels like when your first child is baptized. Maggie is such a sweet girl. I forgot how close hers and Lauren's birthdays are. You are raising a beautiful girl and she will love reading someday about how much you love her.
Tera said...
September 14, 2009 at 7:59 AM
so crazy that we are parents of kids that are really growing up. she is beautiful inside and out already. u r such a sweet mom--u so deserve that great girl. enjoy the baptism its a wonderful thing.
Laurie Von said...
September 14, 2009 at 8:17 AM
What a fun birthday. Nothing better than celebrating all day long. Maggie is still known in our house as "sweet Maggie" (Matthew's name for her). She is a great girl. We are looking forward to sharing the baptism day with her too.
Ingrid said...
September 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM
Wow Maggie is 8 already. It seems like just yesterday she was a baby. Looks like you guys had lots of fun.
Kelli said...
September 14, 2009 at 7:27 PM
Maggie looks like she has grown up so much since the last time that we saw her, and that wasnt that long ago. she looks so proud on her special day, and so beautiful. Happy Birthday Maggie.
Love Shelly
Anonymous said...
September 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM
Maggie, you had my kind of birthday. If someone asked you "What was great about turning 8?" you could say "I ate and ate!" Haha, get it? Eight, ate... Ok, so I'm really happy you had such a rockin' birthday, don't think that I'm minimizing your big day, but sister, YOUR HAIR LOOKS SOOOOOO STINKIN CUTE!!!!! I really love it! I loved looking at your hair in all you pictures. Well, ok, your hair and your smile. Cause, girl, you got style! Get it? Smile, style...
Crystalin Dunn said...
September 15, 2009 at 11:10 AM