May I first begin by informing you that it has been a long day and I am exhausted as only a mom can be. This may explain why I am writing to a household appliance as if you understood or even cared a hoot about me. The fact that my husband has been away at work and school all day and that it has been 12 hours since I have spoken with another adult face to face may offer further clarification.
I feel that it is in my best interest to apologize to you. I use you. Over and over again. I depend on you to perform perfectly day after day. I come to see you everyday, multiple times, yet it is really never to be with YOU. The only time I come to you is to shove my family's dirty clothes, underwear included, down your throat. Then I am gone without a word. Not even a simple thank you or smile. Occasionally, I wipe you down, dust you off, scrape up the gummed up fabric softener off your head, but I admit that all too often this is only when company is coming and I want them to think that you are always treated this good. Then they come and USE you too, praising me for being a good housekeeper because you are so clean, but never giving a thought to you.
After 8 years of intense labor you only occasionally complain. Like when I expect you to wash 16 pairs of jeans at once. Hey, I'd complain too. Almost a year ago, I thought I was going to lose you. You were crying out in agony with each load. In fact you were so loud the walls were shaking. Literally. The repairman came and said, "She's not worth fixin'. You may as well run her into the ground. Just know she might stop and that'll be the end." So that's what we decided to do. For the first few weeks after the diagnosis I went easy on you. Your loads were a bit lighter and I tried not to make you wash 9 loads of laundry in one day. But soon I forgot to be gentle and worked you like always. Then today as I stood there shoving muddy socks, chocolate covered t-shirts, and poop stained onesies into your faithful mouth, it hit me. You've been quiet. You've been agitating like a star. Your tub doesn't rattle. You're really going the distance for me. The walls of the house are even still. Who knows how long it's been this way. I didn't even realize you were better. I didn't pat you on the back and say, "Good job, glad you're ok." I've been selfish and ungrateful. I am so sorry.
Thank you for your dedicated service. Thank you for running even when you may feel like quiting. Thank you for keeping a family of 6 clean and Downy fresh. Our friends and neighbors thank you as well.
I promise that from here on out I'll be more aware of you and your feelings. I'll shine you just because. I'll pop my head in to say hello whithout an armful of malodorous laundry. And occasionally I'll even change detergents just for variety's sake. I will treat you like the indispensible member of this family that you are. You are a true friend.
Here's to many more years of "loads" of fun TOGETHER.
With many thanks,
The Designated Dud Doer
Labels: blog therapy, i've been thinking
Will you write me a letter sometime? Just so I can read it? The next time I'm visiting, I will be sure to give my regards to "Ken".
Crystalin Dunn said...
September 29, 2009 at 7:50 AM
Ha! You have such a great sense of humor. Where do you come up with this stuff?
Tera said...
September 29, 2009 at 11:58 AM
Our washers could be twins... except our washer has a slight rattle again. :( I think that it might be the loads and loads of wash I do everyday. So, if you ever get lonely again and don't want to talk to your washer, you can always call me.
Ingrid said...
September 29, 2009 at 12:12 PM
as always you gave me a good laugh! you are so funny!!! Im obsessed with doing laundry and need to write my washer a thank you letter. :)
Ammo and Josh said...
October 1, 2009 at 10:00 PM
i loved this post! who knew washers had such intense feelings? i think disney could turn that into a pretty good animated movie. hehehe. my washer died this week. and now i know why. i hate it, i've always hated it and secretly started wishing earlier this week that i had a different washer. yeah, i think it felt my vibe and lost the will to live...thinks it's too late for you to come give it a pep talk?
Fulkerson Clan said...
October 2, 2009 at 4:27 PM