In honor of Fall being just around the corner, I thought I'd share some of most favorite Fall recipes. These are the ones that continually stay in the front of my recipe box throughout the cooler months and I always know just what I need to prepare them in a snap. And because I'm not one to be a slave to my kitchen, they're all pretty basic.
Hope you find something that catches your eye! Enjoy!
White Chili
A definite crowd pleaser. If you bring this to the chili cook-off you'll have multiple requests for the recipe. Guaranteed.
1 lb. chicken cooked and cubed (leftover rotisseree works great)
1 medium onion chopped
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder (or minced)
2 cans Great Northern Beans (more if you have a large or hungry family)
1 C. chicken broth
2 small or 1 large can green chilis
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dry oregano (if using ground, you'll use less)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add in 1 C. sour cream OR 1/2 C heavy cream OR 1/2 C. milk. They all work.
* Make sure you adjust the spices if you need to add more beans. You're taste buds will tell you when it's right. If it's a little too hot and spicy for you just add more milk or cream. It's hard to mess this one up.
The Best Corn Bread EVER
This recipe comes from my mom. It is wonderful - so moist and dreamy.
1 stick butter (softened)
1 C. sugar
2 eggs
1 C. corn meal
1 1/2 C. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 C. milk
Beat the butter and sugar until soft. Add eggs and mix in. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Slowly stir in milk.
Bake in greased 8" pan at 375 degrees for 30 -40 minutes. Do NOT overcook! A little brown around the edges is all you need.
Serve up a big ol' piece while still hot. Don't forget to smother it in butter. You will nearly die.
And finally you can end the night right with these
scrumptious beauties. I posted this recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies last year when I first discovered it in an old cookbook from my Grammy. It will be a family favorite here on out!
One more thing. Look what came out of hiding today. That feeling is in the air...well not really because hello - I'm in Vegas. But the calendar is telling me it's time.
you are the best ever!!! more please.
Lindsey said...
September 15, 2009 at 9:01 PM
love the wreath!!!
shelly said...
September 16, 2009 at 11:24 AM
yum thanks for sharing can't wait to try em out!
Blissful & Domestic said...
September 16, 2009 at 10:32 PM
I remember this chili and it is sooooo good. But hey, where's the pumpkin cookie recipe? You can't get me all excited like that and not deliver!!! By the way, I really love your door, especially with the wreath. Liquid smoke is usually at the grocery store in the same place as the worcestershire sauce.
Crystalin Dunn said...
September 17, 2009 at 5:03 AM
Oh, umm, nevermind. I see now the little blue highlighted words that any computer-using person knows is a link to click on. Haha
Crystalin Dunn said...
September 17, 2009 at 5:06 AM
I can't wait to try these!
Jori said...
September 17, 2009 at 2:53 PM
The white chili is pretty good. I don't like beans but this is awesome.
Kim H said...
October 6, 2009 at 4:40 PM