Doesn't this meadow look like the opening scene from The Sound of Music? Don't get excited, it's not the same one. I snapped this photo and I sure as heck wasn't in the Austrian Alps...but I imagine it was just as gorgeous.
If there were only some snowy peaks in the background, I swear Maria would be twirling away.
We just recently returned from
5 nights of camping in Yellowstone with my parents and siblings and lots and lots of kids. 38 people total. We had a great time, but did you know camping with small children is sort of like childbirth?...they both sound like a great idea 9 months before the fact. And eventually I'll forget about the pain and do it all over again.
I share this picture not because I'm particularly keen of my backside, but because it's the only one with me in it. I was there, see? And look how happy Lily is to not be in the backpack that we so carefully borrowed and hauled around for her for a week. She would have nothing to do with it.
The kids stopped counting buffalo at 37.
That was probably a wise choice.
Old Faithful didn't let us down.
I couldn't get enough of the views.
This is my dad and his binoculars - never leaves home without them. Not kidding. No bird or critter escapes his eye. Don't know how he does it.
Good times.
Yes, we are all totally wiped out, but we have memories for a lifetime. Yes, the nights were FREEZING, but the days were perfect. Yes, we got rained on, but our rain fly worked! And yes, we'll do it all over again. Just give me adequate time to recover.
Beautiful pics! Our family just got back from camping too, but we are wimps, we don't tent camp, we rent cabins. But, nonetheless, I agree with you that camping with children is extremely hard. I love your analogy with camping and childbirth...spot on! We've been meaning to make it to yellowstone...one of these days we may actually get there!
Tera said...
July 28, 2010 at 11:37 AM
So fun! we are going camping in a month and I am scared! I am sure it will be amazing, but all of a sudden I am wishing i was a kid again and my mom and dad were coming to do all the dirty work! :)
Crys said...
July 28, 2010 at 1:53 PM
Your pictures make me want to go twirl in the Alps or at least take a trip to Yellowstone. Your pictures are beautiful, and you are a champ for taking 4 kids camping. Did you see a bear? I see they had a little bear incident there last week... glad you were already home.
Ingrid said...
July 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM
Wow! I really want to go to Yellowstone now! I haven't been in so long. I am glad you had fun. I certainly hope you twirled and sang a little number for your fam.(especially with that nice backside;)
Jori said...
July 29, 2010 at 5:09 PM