Pages



Words really can't describe my LOVE for this blessed time of year.  Here in Vegas I try with all my might to bring on Fallish feelings despite the weather in the high 90s.   Decorating, baking, and costume planning with the kids always does the trick.  And since all of that is in full swing I'm pretty much one huge cheezy smile.

And really who couldn't smile with this feathery old crow looking at them?




Over the weekend we pulled out the huge, ugly greenish colored tote that is home to some of my Halloween and Fall decor.  Is my house the only one where as soon as a holiday bucket is opened havoc immediately ensues?  Shouts of "remember this?  Ooooh! Let's put this here!"  And this year, I heard a new one - "Can we carve pumpkins? RIGHT NOW!"   Well considering we'd have a slimy mass of shrivelled orange goo by Halloween, we should probably wait on that one.  Maybe these little fake ones will work for now.




 If I'm truly feeling the Halloween spirit I let the kids run wild with the decorations until they lose interest and then I casually relocate just about everything to where I want it.  That's if I'm feeling really nice.



Every year though, we have a problem.  His name is Jack.  Jumping Jack.  He's ugly and I'm allowed say that because I made him.  I made him 10 years ago after we were first married, when my crafty impulses were only little seedlings.  I didn't actually make him, but I painted him.  Unfortunately, I think this little dude is beyond needing only a new paint job.  He's just not that cute.  I must have thought he was decent at the time or I wouldn't have spent the $2.99 at  Robert's in Provo.  $2.99! That's a lot of money for newlyweds.   By the time I actually realized Jack was as ugly as he was we already had Maggie who had bonded with him.  And every child since has fallen for him equally hard.  He's part of the family now...the ugly part.  So every year, out jumps Jack and he has to have a place of honor.  I know if I ever secretly try to send him off to Goodwill every single member of this family would be asking about him the following year (ok, maybe not Reas).

So Jack remains.
Pitiful.




The last few years, I've wisened up a bit.  Jack still gets his place of honor, but because it's the kids who adore him so, he takes turns in their bedrooms.   AWESOME!  I don't have to look at him all that much, and the kids get to love him and jump him to their hearts' content.  Not jump him, like beat him up.  I mean jump him, like make him jump.  Did I mention he really does jump?  Oh yes.  He does.  And that is why he is the most popular, uncute Halloween thing in my possession that I'm afraid will always haunt me this time of year.



Hope you're happy here, Jack.

2 comments:

It is looking very fallish at your house, and it looks like you've been having fun. Lucky Claire to get jumping Jack. I can tell he will be a family treasure for a long time.

September 30, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

Seriously the cutest!! Way to go! and you're just so creative and have the cutest helpers too...btw! awww! I'm happy to be your newest follower and would love to have you as a friend at FrouFrou Decor! Be sure to link up your sweet creations at my weekly Fabulous Friday Finds party! Hope to see you there!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ FrouFrou Decor~

October 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home