Pages

Today is Day 1 of 5. Reas left at 4:30 AM to head to the airport for a week of work in AZ. I'm feeling strong. Like A WOMAN! Afterall, I made it out the door at 7:30 AM with 4 kids in tow to head to a doctor's appointment. Now...remind me what crazy lady scheduled that appointment?


I'm kinda feeling like I'm heading out on a long roadtrip... alone. A little nervous, a little scared, maybe even a bit excited (about what, I'm not sure. Maybe just the fact that I can get away without making dinner for a week.) But when I get drowsy at the wheel, there's no one to take over. That'll be the hard part.

Ok, who am I kidding? Let's actually ditch the whole roadtrip metaphor. It's not working because there's no fun destination at the end in this case. I've never been one to enjoy the role of brave and responsible caregiver for the whole family. A house without a husband kind of creeps me out. I don't like an empty bed. I don't like searching the kitchen for something tasty after the kids are in bed only to eat it alone. I don't like the noises at 2:00 AM that suddenly become violent robbers trying to break in. Eeek. Why do I do this to myself? I'm already getting all worked up about night time. Ok, I can do this. YES I CAN!

So here's to turning up the music, rolling down the window, and flying solo for a week!

6 comments:

Oh I feel your pain. I don't like being alone either. It's not just the help with the kids and an extra set of hands either. It's the empty bed like you mentioned...I just don't sleep well without my hubby. It's the running through the house to quickly turn out lights and then as quickly as I can I run up the stairs and lock myself in my room. I don't like being alone at night. I need a big strong man to protect me. I'm wimpy, I know it. Wanna come here for 5 days?

October 19, 2009 at 6:54 PM  

when owen was 3 weeks old i sent steve off to LA for the weekend and had the EXACT same thoughts you just spoke about in your blog! a week is a long time, but i know you can do it! though, it always helps if you have a relative or a good friend nearby to pitch in :) good luck!!

October 19, 2009 at 9:12 PM  

i was so there last week. a huge storm hit salinas and jared only came home a couple nights to grab 8 hrs of sleep then back out to work. the kids saw him on sunday then didnt see him till sat morning. it was like seeing santa claus they were so happy. i made it thru by talking on the phone alot--a few fave fast food stops and indulging in lots of reality tv. early bed time for the kids helped too. you can do it carrie. it is kinda empowering huh?

October 20, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

Carrie, repeat after me, "I am good, I am great, I am wonderful; I am good I am great, I am wonderful!" You should also be carrying a goldfish around your neck while you're saying this. It helps tremedously. Girl, just think of all the me time you're getting this week. Don't want to make dinner? Ok! Want control of the remote? Ok! Feel like playing those good ole country songs at full blast? Ok! Wanna have some girlfriends over for a chick flick and chow nite? OK!!! I so totally understand about the empty bed, so make sure you've got a project going and some movies on hand to pop in. Oh, and some yummy indulgences in the kitchen that you've always wanted to try, so there's something to look forward to at nite! Good luck! Love you!

October 20, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

It's the goldfish! That's exactly what I need. Thanks Crystalin!

October 20, 2009 at 12:40 PM  

So in trying to catch up with everyone's blogs I couldn't RESIST scrolling down and reading from here (and planning to read to the top). I SO enjoy your VOICE in your posts. You make me smile and make me think - you have a gift lady for both the spoken (you taught an awesome lesson Sunday!) and written word :)

November 10, 2009 at 4:56 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home