Pages

Recently I found this beauty at Goodwill for $20 in all its crusty glory. It was very well loved, but the solid oak made it impossible for me to just keep walking.



After sanding it down I took my trusty foam roller to it with Behr's paint and primer in one. Now that I've used that paint for a couple of projects I swear by it. Since the cabinet was missing its shelves, I had the saw guy at Home Depot cut some for me (about $5). It looks like there used to be glass shelving since there's lighting at the top of the cabinet, but the idea of glass pretty much freaks me out considering curious little hands are lurking about. I decided to go with wood.

And here it stands...




Lucky for me, the existing hardware looked a million times better after the paint job so I didn't even have to switch it out.



Love it!

And just for fun, I'm going to show the little makeover of that star sitting on the shelf. It used to be brick red. It was really starting to bug me.  I used to have this thing with brick red and it began popping up everywhere in my house.  Everywhere.  And when I say "used to" I mean like last year.  I know, I know...I'm very noncommittal when it comes to color.  Some might think it's a problem.  Say, like a husband who keeps hearing about new ideas for rooms that he thinks were just recently redone.  It's never too soon for a little makeover, honey.

Anyway, now I'm getting bored of red...brick red, not red red. I like red red.  In fact, red red is part of my new plan for the toy room, which I hope to be starting soon.  Sorry brick red.  You were a good friend for a while, but it's time for me to move on.  Unfortunately, I'm going to be un-brickredifying my house for a while. 

The star used to look like this: a lot of red and a lot of boring.




After some digging through my scrapbook paper, pulling out the Mod Podge, and cutting and gluing away, I have a new not red star.
Super easy and kinda cute...if you ask me.  And much more deserving of dedicating an entire shelf to it.



The only problem I see is that I think my new color is a light shade of dusky blue...and I decided on that after I did this star, which has not a trace of blue in it.  huh.

I have issues, I know.  But I swear I'm not as flaky with friends as I am with colors.  I'll keep a good friend around for at least 2 years : )













 

4 comments:

I love how the cabinet turned out! See you can still find room for new projects.:)
Thanks for posting the star make over. I have two stars sitting sitting out that I keep looking at and thinking I need Carrie to tell me how she made that cute star again. I am ready for a few new projects with school starting next week.

August 20, 2010 at 12:33 PM  

i am so proud of you!!! looks great and 20 bucks??? i passed by a sofa table last night at gw. i am thinking i might go see if it is still there. i need a redo project!

August 20, 2010 at 2:08 PM  

You are so amazing. I would have seen that shelf and walked right by. BUt not you...you see the beauty it could become, you have a special eye! (You also have this talent with people too!)

August 20, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

The shelf turned out great and I love your star too! Great work! Vicki

August 20, 2010 at 5:49 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home