Pages



I started out with 3 strikes against me. I really should've known better. 1. I was half asleep 2. my brain functions at approximately 50% capacity during pregnancy and 3. I was craving, no needing chocolate cream pie so intensely that I was dangerously rushing the whole process.


And that is how my family ended up with chocolate cream cornbread pie in a graham cracker crust. Sounds intriguing, right? No, I didn't think so.


As he was wiping away tears and trying to catch his breath between hysterical laughs, Reas just kept asking me, "How did you not realize? What were you thinking when you grabbed the cornmeal?!" That's the problem. I was not thinking. I read "cornstarch," thought cornstarch, and then reached for the nearest ingredient that said "corn" in it. Unfortunately, that was cornmeal, not cornstarch.


So, if you've ever layed awake at night wondering if it's possible to make the Better and Homes and Gardens chocolate cream pie recipe even if you don't have cornstarch on hand, I'd say yes, it is... if you don't mind a little chocolatey griddiness instead of the typical silky smooth stuff.



See the lumpy little bits?...

that would be the chocolate covered cornmeal.





I will say a crumbly graham cracker crust and 6 inches of whipped cream piled on top seem to mask almost any imperfection. I'm not suggesting you try it or anything, and I'm pretty sure I won't be submitting the recipe to the next ward cookbook, but it's not as bad as you might think.
And these guys still thought it was a pretty great after school snack. That's the important thing, right?






8 comments:

I will send Hallie straight over, apparently you both have a little thing for cornmeal. :)

March 22, 2011 at 5:01 PM  

Boy have times changed. My culinary flops ended up in the dog dish. Yours get photographed and blogged! Much healthier for one's self esteem. I laughed until I couldn't see!

March 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM  

oh carrie, thanks for the huge laugh this morning, i needed it. cornmeal...that's awesome. lol lol

March 23, 2011 at 7:28 AM  

the thing that was truly funny was the look on her face when she realized what she had done. she was trying to figure out why the filling was so grainy and was trying to think what ingredients were in it.. we were discussing cornstarch and i mentioned that cornstarch is a really find powder and would cause it to be grainy and it hit her.. she hadn't used cornstarch at all.. i won't deny it, everytime i though about it that afternoon i just lauged.. fortunately it still tastes good..
Reas

March 23, 2011 at 3:28 PM  

i meant "fine" powder and that it wouldn't cause it to be grainy.. typing too fast..
Reas

March 23, 2011 at 3:29 PM  

Oh, girl, you make me giggle. We should be neighbors and real life friends - we'd have a great time! :D I'm glad the kids still liked it. No word on how you responded to the hubs laughing at you - mine would've been sent to time-out! :D

March 23, 2011 at 3:59 PM  

wow. just wow.

i can see a similarity in your stories and your mom's. too funny!

March 23, 2011 at 9:26 PM  

Thanks for the laugh. Hope it filled your craving. If not the Marie Calendar's twice a year pie sale should be coming up. I know because it was on our calendar twice a year, I needed their chocolate pie.

March 24, 2011 at 7:45 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home