Pages

Here it is a new year...or 13 days into a new year and I've just realized that despite all my blogging efforts to record life for posterity's sake, I have failed to record the single most important event of 2009. So, if accounts of someone else's road to labor and delivery bore you out of your mind, read no further. Poor little Lily's birth story is nowhere to be found except in my mind and that can get a little hazy with me being 31 and all. So before I forget the facts altogether, it's just got to be done.

Like I said, I totally understand if you go click the big X, but for those of you who have nothing better to do I'll try to make this somewhat entertaining.

The best part about Lily's birth is that I can honestly say that it all turned out pretty much as I had hoped and planned for (as best as you can plan how a baby decides to enter the world).

Before I was even pregnant this time around I had made up my mind that our next baby must absolutely come to us the old fashion way. That is, without being induced and without me having an epidural. I had scary and painful experiences when Claire was born thanks to not so wonderful modern medicine, and it wasn't worth the risk of doing it again.

I made some trips to the library, read up all I could, talked to friends, studied the Bradley method, did my kegel's and stretches (when I remembered, or happened upon some show on Discovery Health that would freak me out). Over all, I felt prepared and knew exactly how I wanted things to play out.

On April 17th, 4 days past my due date, Dr. Swainston looked at me and said, "I don't know why you're still pregnant. Someone could say 'boo!' to you and your baby would fall out." Dr. Swainston may as well be called the King of Induction. That's just the way he rolls. Despite that, he was pretty patient with me refusing to be induced. On the 18th, a Saturday, I woke up, cried a little (again) because I was still pregnant, and then was helping turn the jumprope for the kids. A week earlier, I got the crazy idea that I should jumprope my way into labor. I did about half a jump and realized that was a really REALLY stupid idea. On this particular morning the thought crossed my mind again. I think the thought alone was enough because contractions started shortly thereafter.


Here we are, just 5 hours before Lily was born. I had not a clue what was about to happen.


Quite a glam shot of me, eh? That is SUCH a pregnant lady sit.



Contractions started around 10ish. They weren't too bad, but they were very regular. That was enough to get me moving. When Ty was born, he pretty much shot out the second I had a hospital bed, so I knew my body was capable of being ultra efficient. I showered and even put makeup on. It was great. Around noon, Reas drove me the 10 or so minutes to the hospital and of course, I didn't have a single contraction the whole way there or the whole walk into the hospital. I checked in anyway, hoping that this was the real deal. I got all hooked up to the annoying monitors, and then for the real question...how far was I dilated? A measly 4. I was so mad. The nurse said they'd watch me for an hour. After about 45 minutes of absolutely nothing happening, it was like someone turned on the contraction switch. 15 minutes later, I was 9 1/2. The contractions were super hard, and I was totally in the zone. I wouldn't go as far as calling it fun, but I was totally pumped because I was doing it all myself. I wonder if Super Girl had all natural childbirths. Ty came without an epidural too, but that was because he came so fast I didn't have a choice. This was the first time I had made up my mind start to finsh to go through labor without medication. It was my decision and I felt very empowered. I wasn't paying much attention to what was going on around me, but Reas says that the nurses were all out in the hallway chatting and nobody was really taking his calls for help seriously. My water broke after a particularly hard contraction and I can still hear Reas' bellowing voice..."Water broke!!!!!" For some reason, the memory makes me laugh. Nurses came in, Dr. Swainston was nowhere to be found. He was at the movies. Nice. Obviously I didn't need him anyway. The next thing I knew, Reas was leaning over me in that sweet husbandly labor coach way, telling me her head was out. I couldn't believe it. I was like, "What?! Really?" It had all seemed too easy. Really, I'm not kidding. Weird, eh?

And again, another beautiful picture of me.




Next. The flow of emotions. The love that I felt for Reas was indescribable. Love for him, love for family, love for Heavenly Father. Gratitude for eternal families and gratitude for feeling so close to heaven. A new perfect and tiny human life was placed in my arms and was mine. She came from me. She came from us. She came from Heavenly Father to us. How could I be responsible for and be trusted with something so tiny, so helpless, and so perfect. I don't think it matters how many babies a woman may have. The miracle of birth and the beauty and overwhelming joy of knowing that a new life exists because of you, never lessens. Her hands, her face, her feet, all created in His image through me. I cannot imagine any other earthly experience bringing me closer to feeling God's love for his children as during those first quiet and precious moments when I first look into my new baby's face.




Lily, we love you. You have brought so much joy to us. I thank Heavenly Father for you each day and feel so incredibly blessed to be your mother. Your smile, your laugh, and your cute little elf ears brighten up the room. I hope you will always feel the love we have for you and through that love will learn of God's love for you.


Lily, 8 1/2 months

4 comments:

The thing I notice in the first picture, besides your "pregnant lady sit", is first, how skinny your legs were and second, how clean your house was...5 hours before your baby was born.

I took Bradley classes when I was pregnant with Lauren, planned and prepared for a completely natural birth. Lo and behold I had the worst doctor and experience ever. 31 hours of labor later, 2 hours of pushing, I ended up with a c-section and have had to have them ever since. Boo for me. Okay, now we can move on with your story!

I think your birth story is lovely and the love you have for your family is inspiring. You keep writing Carrie Beth and I'll keep reading!

January 14, 2010 at 1:13 PM  

oh i laughed aloud about your pregnant lady sit! oh man!

and of course i read the whole thing! who do you think i am? like i'm gonna x out of a birth story! you know, women all love birth stories! especially because i'm gonna have a new birth story in just a few weeks...

and you write so well. i love everything you write. you're so clever.

and i couldn't agree with you more about the ugly colors at the kids' haircutting place. why do they have to do that?? it was obnoxious. and a one-time thing. now i keep getting annoying emails from that place and we don't even live there anymore.

anyway, love the post. and man are you brave for allowing pictures of you during childbirth. but you look great. maybe if i looked that good i would allow it too...

January 14, 2010 at 8:14 PM  

i'm with robin, reas could post his version of the birth story the very next day and i would read that too. i love, love birth stories! especially those that pertain to natural childbirth, since that's how i roll too. and when you mentioned "the zone" i so know what you were referring to! thanks for sharing, and i'm 31 as well and can also relate to the no memory thing. tee-hee.

January 19, 2010 at 7:23 PM  

Can you believe that it has been 9 months already? It seems like we were just living these stories. Lily is so sweet. I am just sad that we will have to watch her grow up so far away.

January 20, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home