Pages

I got around to getting my menu done - good thing because the week is upon us. 
On the menu this week:

Monday - smothered burritos
Tuesday - Italian Beef Hoagies
Wednesday - Stroganoff
Thursday - Chicken nuggets, fruit salad
Friday - Dad's taking the kids camping...I'm off the hook
Saturday - BLT's
Sunday - Chicken Pot Pie

I really can't post this without explaining why my Thursday menus will be pathetic for the next 6-8 weeks.  The kids will be playing soccer with the primary kids at church right during dinnertime every Thursday.  We'll either be packing up dinner to take it with us or eating something fast before heading out the door.
This week, chicken nuggets. 
Onto the fun part - a recipe to share.

I can't remember exactly where this recipe originated, but I think it was maybe my sister- in- law's. 
This is a great recipe for using up leftover pork roasts or chicken.  I just chop it up small and a little will go a long way after it's mixed in with all the other ingredients.  This recipe looks a little involved, but really it's a pretty easy one frying pan deal, especially if you try the alternate version I discovered this week. 

Egg Rolls

2 Tbs. oil
1 lb. ground pork or chicken
salt and pepper
1/2 C minced yellow onions (I've used onion powder)
2-3 cloves chopped garlic (or minced)
1 lb. shredded cabbage (I like to use the handy bags of coleslaw mix - I like the crispiness the carrots give)
soy sauce, to taste
1 Tbs. sugar
1 lb. fresh bean sprouts (I've never actually used these in this recipe.  No reason, except I've never used bean sprouts for anything...I probably should one day)
1/4 C. green onion, green part only
egg roll wrappers
oil for frying

Preheat oil.  Add meat, season with salt and pepper.  Stir fry 3 minutes.  Add onion and garlic, cook 2 minutes.  Add cabbage, season with salt and pepper. Stir fry 1 minute.  Season with soy sauce and sugar.  Add sprouts and green onion.  To assemble, spoon 1/4 cup filling in rectangular shape, fold in ends, roll up and seal with egg wash.  Fry until golden 2-3 minutes.  Drain on paper towels.

Here's my little alteration:  I had a lot of filling left over, but didn't feel like frying up more of the eggrolls.  Instead, I mixed it in with left over spaghetti type pasta, added a little more soy sauce, and created my own quick chow mein to use up the extras.  Besides, I'm thinking the egg rolls wouldn't be that great reheated.  The crisp factor ya know...

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Yum, yum. I need to start getting better about making a weekly menu. You are so sweet. I am so ready to be done with this pregnancy, I have never been so darn tired! I only have 10 more days left, but I am doing all I can to have less than that!! If you have any great ideas, let me know!

September 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM  

Good job making menus!! I am going to try that too. Maggies cake turned out great!!!! You did a nice job on it.

September 15, 2010 at 10:49 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home