I have victoriously avoided the whole pet owning part of parenthood for a good long time. It's not that I don't like animals, it's just that I don't like caring for animals. See the difference? There is a difference, but in the eyes of my children it's all the same: I'm just a big ol' meanie out to do my family a terrible injustice by keeping fluffy little furballs out of their hearts and our home. I know. It's a terrible thing, right? Mine and Ty's killer allergies to anything with paws, fur, or fluffy cuteness doesn't help the situation, although it has made my case easier to win. BUT in the last year, Maggie has come to us at least a dozen times begging, pleading, sometimes crying her eyes out for a pet...any pet (as long as she could cuddle it. That was the only requirement). A couple of weeks ago she left a note on my pillow:
The top 5 animals I want:
puppy
kitten
guinea pig
bunny
hamster
I caved. The note was more than I could bear. Crying and whining, well I've dealt with enough of that that it doesn't really do much to my heart of stone. Write me a letter, and I'm done for. It's a last resort to plead a desperate case of childhood sorrows. So looking down the list, kitten, bunny, and guinea pig are definite no's. I'd be dead. Ty would be dead. Our allergies really are that bad. We can walk in a house and know within the first 3 minutes of being there that we have to get out pronto. Puppy, I actually do like dogs. Someday I'd love a dog. Like when we have a bigger yard and live in a climate where we could make him a great outdoor only dog without feeling guilty. It's way too hot here for an outdoor only dog. That leaves a hamster as the clear choice if I am ever going to regain the love of my oldest child.
Alright, girlfriend. Hamster it is. His name is Cosmo. And I'll admit he IS kind of cute. It was love at first sight for Maggie. She saw him stretching and yawning in the corner of the cage at the petstore, and she was smitten.

Speaking of petstores...it was a big deal for me to go there yesterday. I'm probably going to offend the masses by actually sharing this inner issue of mine, but it's my blog. Forgive me. First, I will say that I know my stereotyping is completely innacurate and it's probably just that I've heard about and seen too many crazed animal lovers on TV. But I can't get it out of my head that people who frequent pet supply stores for all of their animal needs are just maybe a tad bit obsessive and maybe even a little bit... weird. SORRY, I KNOW I KNOW. It's so wrong of me. Like I said, it's a stereotype that I'm trying to overcome. Maybe now that I'm a hamster owner things will change. A little bit. But seriously if I ever come walking out of Petsmart with more than a bag of wood chips and hamster food...well I won't. Did you know that you can buy hamster treats?? I really didn't know they knew the difference. But be sure the treats don't make up more than 10% of his little diet. Did you know that your local Petsmart will provide you with a brochure informing you on how to keep your hamster fit, stress free, and mentally stimulated?? And obviously, I have a very long way to go. I am NOT sounding like a very nice person right now. I try to be, really. After this confession you're probably all feeling bad for Cosmo having to live with me. But let me clarify. Cosmo is in very good hands. That's one thing about me. I am very trustworthy and loyal, and never shirk my responsibilities to which I have committed myself. I think that's why it has taken 10 years to even rise to the status of hamster owner. I wasn't ready for that kind of committment. Now I am. He is loved, I assure you. And maybe, just maybe he'll even get some hamster treats every now and then.
Now if you'll excuse me, it's Cosmo's ball exersize time.
I wish your brother would have asked his allergy ladden mother for a hamster instead of snakes. Welcome to the world of pets - will you be bringing him to Lancaster soon?
mom said...
September 12, 2010 at 8:09 PM
My sister could have written this post. She feels the same way about pets and ended up with Hamlet the hamster. They were a perfect match! Maybe someday we could introduce Cosmo to our fish Bronco. I bet they would be good friends:)
Wilcox Crew said...
September 13, 2010 at 8:18 PM
If your fish is named Bronco, I know I could love him...at least as much as I love Cosmo!!
Carrie said...
September 13, 2010 at 8:47 PM
Wow, you are a great mom. I feel the same way about pets, and I am still a hold out. We've had butterflies, tadpoles, ants (in a ant farm), a hermit crab and then there's all the fish we've killed. Matthew wants a puppy for Christmas. It is killing me, but I am still holding out. You'll have to let me know how the hampster goes.
Ingrid said...
September 14, 2010 at 11:05 AM
Amen, to pretty much every thought you have ever had, but especially this one. Boy I sure don't look forward to the time I have kids begging for pets, I don't even have allergies! Tober is already goo for animals!
Crys said...
September 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM