Pages

I have this dream. It's just a teeny tiny baby dream right now, but I have a feeling it's not going to go away. It's my opinion that when dreams haunt me all day long and make it so I can hardly think about anything else, then maybe there's something to it. Maybe someday it won't just be a dream. But here's my confession: I'm a big scaredy cat. I easily talk myself out of things that maybe won't be very easy, or that will maybe move me out of my comfort zone. I'm not much of a risk taker and don't ever like to chance exposing my weakness.

So here's my story (this leads up to my dream): Reas and I lived in lots of different apartments for the first 6 years of our marriage. In 2006 we moved into our first real home. I use the term "real home" loosely because it wasn't even ours. We were renting it. I call it our first home only because it wasn't an apartment. It wasn't attatched to anyone or anything else and that made it feel like it was mine. We were so happy! It's 1300 square feet and 3 bedrooms felt HUGE after being in 900-1000 square foot apartments for so long. The combination of moving into all that empty space and having very little money in my decorating budget taught me some things about myself. I learned first: that I love to play house. I love decorating. I love rearranging furniture. I love to make my home beautiful. OK that was actually 4 things, but they're all related. Next I learned that I could do all of that without spending a lot of money. And finally, I discovered that I absolutely LOVE the process of creating something beautiful out of well, something not so lovely. I love the thrill of finding a great deal after patiently waiting for the perfect something to show up at the thrift store. I love the challenge of turning nothing into something.

Before long, I had filled up that little house with nickel and dime treasures. Just about the time I was wondering where I was going to find room to put my next project, we bought our current home. Almost doubling the size of our previous house there was so much space and so much to do! My list of projects was a mile long. We needed a lot of furniture and I was up to the challenge of thrifting with a goal. I realize not everyone could be excited about trying to furnish and decorate a five bedroom house for cheap. I, on the other hand, was thrilled. I've had plenty of weird looks from family and friends when they see what I happily bring home from stores, yard sales, the sidewalk...the trash. It doesn't bother me. In fact, I kind of like it because then I can come back later with my finished product and say "See?! I told you it'd be cute!!"

Sorry. I'm starting to ramble.

The point is this. We've now been in our house just over two years. And (hear the sadness in my voice here) we are 98% fully furnished top to bottom. I'm running out of room. There are only a few empty walls. With the exception of a dresser for Ty and a couple of nighstands for our bedroom, there isn't anything else we need, corners for me to fill. What do I do? I mean I guess I could stop neglecting my kids, maybe start making dinner every once in a while...he he. Just kidding. I try to do a good job balancing duty with hobby. Just because my house is full and I don't really need anthing more, I still have this drive to create. This need to peek into the thrift store or stop at the neighbor's yard sale. I can't help it!! But I also can't help the fact that an overcrowded house is not a good thing. And it goes against all that I am to buy just to buy. Even if my purchases are inexpensive, every single one of them is purposeful.

Now we come back full circle to my dream. Someday I would love to help others. I'd love to show people that that coffee table, or bookcase or picture frame or whatever, is still good! Think of a new way to use it. Paint it. Chop it in half! Use it in a way that's totally new and different. Don't be afraid to try something crazy every now and then. I'll do it for you if you let me!! I'd love to refurbish furniture and home decor items and sell it out of my garage. That's the crazy dream I think about.

Do I have room for that kind of hobby? No. Do I have time for that? I say yes, some might say no. Would anyone buy it? Maybe not. But would I absolutely love every second of it? YES!!!!

So that's my dream friends. Someday...maybe someday.

2 comments:

I think that is a very worthy goal. I think a lot of us(me in particular) struggle with finding what our passion is, what we will do with our time and talents after raising children. I think you are lucky that you have a goal, a passion and a purpose. You know what to do (that's 9/10 of the battle),now you just have to figure out how to get it done!

April 13, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

i agree with tera, and i'm even a little jealous that you have such a fabulous talent for creating and a drive that keeps you doing it (though yes, it'd be nice to have the same drive about the laundry...). but i really think you'll be able to find an outlet for this talent as well. in fact, i can help you out by sending you pics of all of my undecorated rooms (yes, 3 years in our house and nothing has been decorated and there aren't even any pictures hanging up) and you can start furnishing and decorating my house. after all, we'll be coming to vegas sometime this year :) hmm, how's that for a goal? :D

April 13, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home