First written on April 21, 2010
I am writing this post without knowing when or if it will ever be published. I need to write. I need to express my feelings and try to put into words all the confusing emotions that I'm feeling. Today I woke up nervous about what the day would bring. In only a few hours I would be sitting in the pediatrician's office with our sweet Lily, sharing with her doctor some of the concerns that we have for her.
Thinking back about the types of blog posts I have written about our baby, it's obvious that I avoid talking about her developmentally. I write about the cute things she does, the sweet baby that she is, and of course how much we love her, and can't imagine life without her. I haven't documented any baby firsts. I haven't written about her first roll, her first tooth, her learning to stand, or even learning to crawl. It's not that I've forgotten to write about these things, it's that they've never happened. Not any of them. She sits. She smiles and laughs, she babbles, and she loves. Lily is yet to reach many physical developmental milestones that many babies her age have been doing for 6 months or longer. Lily doesn't even stand when we hold her in our lap - something that babies as young as a couple of months can do.
She had her last well check at 6 months. And while it was maybe uncommon that she hadn't reached some these milestones by that age, it wasn't so unusual that her doctor seemed concerned, so we went on assuming everything was fine. At nine months, I was a little more concerned about things she wasn't doing, but after researching the internet, I found plenty of reassurance that some babies just take their time and not to be overly worried. Since she was so healthy and wasn't due for any immunizations at nine months, I decided to wait for her 12 month appointment. Not to mention all the H1N1 scares. I didn't want to needlessly expose her to anything by taking her to a doctor's office.
Now at 12 months, we need aswers. I think I have prayed harder and longer in the last couple of weeks than at any other time in my life. I've prayed for Lily's health, I've prayed for the doctors. Mostly I've prayed that I would be at peace with whatever outcome we would face.
As Dr. Dorway and I began talking about her, and some the things that she is and is not doing, he still didn't seem alarmed, like maybe he had seen it before and it was ok. Then he began to review her growth charts. For what seemed like forever, he went back and forth between the weight chart, the height chart, and the head circumference. Then he said, "Lily, you are SHORT!" Thoughts start flying through my mind like is she a midget? Is she failure to thrive? What's going on? He didn't know. He couldn't give us any answers, except what the numbers were telling him. Which has basically this: At birth up til about 6 months, Lily's head circumference, length, and weight, were all right around the 50th percentile. Now at 12 months her head circumference continues to be normal for her age, but her weight and her height and have dropped to below the charts. Her size doesn't fall within the measured range of infants. In fact, she hits a whole graph square below zero. On average, a 12 month-old will have tripled their birth weight. Lily has gone from 7 lbs. 12 oz. at birth to almost 16.5 pounds at one year, a little more than doubling her weight. If it were only her weight that had dropped he wouldn't be as concerned, but because her height has been equally affected, he thinks there might be something going on.
Now we wait. We are waiting for the referral to see a pediatric neurologist. Her doctor wants us to see a neurologist because he thinks there may be a problem with her pituitary gland, which not only affects growth, but sex organs, and the thyroid. He said it could be a month before we can get in for an appointment, which just might be the longest month of my life.
Today I cried a lot. I reflected a lot. I thought about life, my family, and what matters most. I thought about Lily's future, and what may lay ahead for her, and for all of us. I don't know whether to start worrying a lot, preparing myself for the worst case scenario, or to just try to relax, knowing that we don't really know anything yet. If it is her pituitary gland not producing properly, there are ways to stimulate that. She might always be little, but little is ok. Little can still be healthy. The pituitary was only a first impression. It's possible that it's something else. I hate not knowing. Waiting is torture.
I am grateful for a supportive husband, loving friends, and family who would drop everything to be with us if needed. I am thankful that I can pray anytime and anywhere, and know that my family is loved and watched over.
Posting may be a bit sporatic for the next little while. I'll try to post updates as we receive them.
Labels: Lily
I am so sorry that you all are going through this right now. Trust me when I say I KNOW EXACTLY what you are going through. It wasn't that long ago I stood in the shower and cried as I wondered if my 3 year old was going to die of cancer. Calling and setting an appointment up with an Oncologyst was the scariest thing I'd ever had to do. It is still crazy to think that my baby had an Oncologyst. Waiting for the test result was torture and wondering what laid in wait for our family was agonizing. Lily will be okay. And so will you. Pray. Pray hard. Most of all pray for comfort and peace. Sometimes prayer can change an outcome, I believe in Brynna's case, there were so many prayers that were said in her behalf, and how drastically her test result changed, I know that prayer changed the outcome. But that is not always the case. Sometimes we just need to pray for comfort to accept the outcome. You are strong and you have a love for Lily that is unmatchable and unending. There isn't anything you can't face together. Sometimes things are fixable. Sometimes they aren't, and sometimes we just need to accept that we hold special angels in our arms and in the eternal perspective, it will all be okay. As mothers we want healthy, perfect, above average children. Who is to say what perfect is? And when did average, or all a child can do even if it isn't average become not okay? If something is wrong with Lily, it doesn't make her not perfect. She will be her own kind of perfect. And there is nothing wrong with that!
Tera said...
April 28, 2010 at 7:07 PM
Let us know if you need help while you go and do appointments. Parker loves to play with Ty and Jim doesn't mind watching them if I am working. Let us know how we can help because we would love to do that for your family.
Coffey buzz Mom said...
April 28, 2010 at 9:22 PM
Sweetie, we wish we could be there tomorrow. But, we are doing all that we can here to join our faith with yours and Reas'. God has a plan for Lily - she's his daughter also, and she WILL fulfill it. Lily has many people praying for her - and you and Reas, too.
Mom said...
April 28, 2010 at 9:50 PM
Carrie we are praying for you all (especially you and our Lily). You know that you can always ask us for anything. We love you. Thanks for sharing that with us. Wish we could be there.
Kim D said...
April 29, 2010 at 7:44 PM
Carrie, my thoughts are with you and your whole family during this difficult time. I know that your faith will help you during these tough days. Your ability to put into writing, what you are feeling is truly a gift. All of your babies, (and Reas) are very lucky to have such a strong and intelligent Mom in their lives.
Megan R. said...
April 29, 2010 at 8:04 PM
I am so glad that you wrote about Lily. I knew you had your appointment last week, and I have been thinking about you and Lily everyday. You have such a great love and concern for all of your children, and your prayers and faith will go along way. I know that you have been so worried, and I am sure that getting some answers will help so much. Lily is sweet and beautiful, and Heavenly Father must love her so much to send her to your home. Wish we were there to help too, but our prayers will be with all of you and the doctors too. We miss you all.
Ingrid said...
April 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM
This just tugs at my heart! You and your whole family are in our prayers. I admire your faith and strength. *hugs* xoxo
Ammo and Josh said...
April 30, 2010 at 10:05 PM
Nina told me to get on your blog and read about Lily. I am so sorry that you have to go through this. Hopefully you will learn that it is only a minor and fixable problem. We will keep you and baby Lily in our prayers. Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY LILY and CONGRATS on ROLLING OVER!
Unknown said...
May 3, 2010 at 8:57 PM
I am praying for you for sure. I think waiting for answers is the worst part. Your children are lucky to have such faithful loving parents.
Jori said...
May 4, 2010 at 7:09 PM
I am so sorry to hear that. She and your family will be in our prayers. She is in a loving home and your love and faith will get you through this. You are a strong person and I know you will get through this and everything will be all right. It is in God's hands. Let me know if there is ever anything we can do.
Kim H said...
May 15, 2010 at 12:50 AM