Pages

Strawberry season is in full swing and we are LOVING it!  Of course all those to die for berries are imported, but we'll take what we can get out here in the parched wilderness.  Strawberries in cereal, strawberries for snacks, strawberries with every meal, but the best strawberry creation so far - my totally awesome creative culinary husband has been making strawberry shakes.  They totally put those fast food foamy ones to shame. It's our little secret treat after the kids are in bed.  I know. I know.  So ridiculously mean.  Tip here: make sure those kids are slumbering ever so soundly because if your blender sounds like a semi is plowing through the front door, like mine, they'll be down the stairs lickety split if they're only almost asleep.

Ok so here we go with the how to's. 

Cut up your fresh strawberries into slices, chunks, octagons...whatever you want.  Depending on how macho your blender is, maybe you don't need to cut them at all.  My blender...well you'll see in a minute why we have to slice.  About 2 or so cups is good, but I don't really think the proportions need to be all that exact.

Next, sugar those babies up with about 3 heaping tablespoons of sugar and wait a few minutes for them to get all juicy like.

Plop them in the blender and then fill her up with vanilla icecream.  Ours is a 5 cup blender and we mostly fill it - don't pack it in, or you will have a mess.  Just nice airy scoops .

Then for the secret ingredient.  About half a can, or maybe a little less, of evaporated milk.  NOT regular milk.  It's just not sweet enough and your shakes will be lacking big time.  Then liquify.  You might need to add more milk here if it's too thick. 

Name brands are not necessary.  The cheap stuff with the scary cow is fine.



I think the shakes taste best if your blender is at least 10 years old and cheap to begin with, sporting a cracked motor case from being dropped one too many times, and a lid that doesn't quite seal.  Kind of like this:



Then you fill up two tall glasses - they must be glass.  All cold beverages taste better in glass.  Agree?

Just look at these!  You probably will cry when your glass is empty, but don't succumb to the temptation of seconds. If you do, there's a good chance your stomach will explode.


Now, go.  Be happy...and call me if you've got leftovers.

8 comments:

We have the same blender! Although ours isn't cracked, I lost the lid so I have to put a plate on top:) We just made these the other night, but with regular milk. I will have to try your recipe (creepy cow and all)

April 20, 2010 at 8:35 AM  

well since blenders suck, we dont even have one anymore. i will have to pick one up for strawberry season;)

April 20, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

That looks so good right now! I will be trying that recipe for sure, especially since I have been craving strawberry shakes recently:)

April 20, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

Haha.. I check your blog all the time, and then make Bryce come and see what you have been up to. I am always in awe of what you can find, and then create with it. I will have to make sure I leave more comments - because I LOVE to check out your blog!

April 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

These look awesome - tell Reas to come and let go in our kitchen! Can't wait to try his newest creation!

April 20, 2010 at 8:13 PM  

Hey Carrie, your post about lily was so sweet. I am about to get started making some hair things for your girlies and was just wondering if you have color or style preferences? let me know!

April 22, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

Yum-o! We have to try that! Thanks for the recipe!

April 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM  

sounds really good. we will have to try some. thanks for the recipe

May 15, 2010 at 12:53 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home